Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Poor quality display on some iPhone 5 ( and 5c/5s?) units

I'm on a family plan and as such I have multiple iPhone 5 phones. I noticed that starting with the iPhone 5, many of the displays were visibly different than others. For a long time, I thought the only issue was the vertical lines (interlacing) that many have reported ad-nauseum on these forums. Yes it's a problem, but it would turn out it's not the only problem with these displays. The other problem (and this turns out to be an even larger one) is that they are not even coming close to supporting the color gamut of the "good display" (i.e. the one that does not contain the interlacing lines).

I've seen reports of the interlacing occurring on 5s units as well, and so I can only assume they also share the trait of having the horribly inadequate color reproduction.

Below, please see the image of two iPhone 5 units. The black unit has the good screen, insofar as it does not have the vertical interlacing lines visible and you'll notice the color wheel is displayed correctly. The white unit has the visibly inferior display and lo and behold, it also can't even properly display the color wheel. Notice the abrupt shift in colors and banding present in the image.

Zooming in on the color wheel makes the inferiority of the display on the white iPhone more apparent. I have read so many reviews about how great the iPhone 5 display is. But it's not fair that they only review the good screen. Then when we as customers get the bad screen we are left out in the cold, with reviews telling everybody how great the iPhone display is but with the reality being quite mediocre.

I hope Apple stops allowing such a wide variance in display performance across their approved LCD manufacturers. I didn't run this test just for the fun of it. I ran the test because I was noticing how lackluster the screen on my white iPhone 5 was and wanted to verify it to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

Hey Apple -- it's not a "minor thing". Your cutting of corners does get noticed and it will influence your sales going forward as your competition improves.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 5:51 PM

There are no replies.

Poor quality display on some iPhone 5 ( and 5c/5s?) units

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.