Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Light going out when screen lights

Problem today. Computer was left on when I went to lunch. It was not connected. When I came back, it would not wake up. I plugged it in for a while.Then restarted it. Now when I go to restart it, the power light comes on (plugged in) and as soon as the screen lights the power light goes out and stays ouy.If I close the lid the power light comes on as the screen goes out. Never seen anything like this. Any ideas?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 7:04 PM

4 replies

Jan 30, 2014 6:25 AM in response to George Chapman

Hello George,

It sounds like the light on the power adapter will turn off when the display is on. I recommend resetting your System Management Controller when something like this is occurring:

Resetting the SMC on Mac portables with a battery you can remove

Note: Learn about removing the battery on MacBook and MacBook Pro.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

You can find the full article here:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

If you continue to experience issues with the light on the power adapter, I would continue with the steps in the section titled "Troubleshooting power adapter issues" in the following article:

Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1713

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Power Light going out when screen lights

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.