Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sort order in iCloud shared photo stream

I have an album of photos in iPhoto v9.5.1 which I want to share using the iCloud shared photo stream. I've carefully sorted the photos in the album. But when I create and send the invite for the shared photo stream, it automatically re-orders the photos by date and greys out in the menu all other sorting orders. In other words it entirely ignores the work I put into creating the sort order.

Is there a fix?

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 8:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 8:38 PM

Sorry - not possible - iCloud is currently only sorted by date

suggest to Apple - iPhoto menu ==> provide iPhoto feedback

LN

50 replies

May 20, 2014 7:42 PM in response to Cidrolin

#1 Talking to other users about Apple problems IS useful----it warns them of what pitfalls to be aware.

#2 Talking to other users about Apple problems IS useful---sometimes the overall discussion allows a synthesis of the problem to occur---so that the discussion later communicated to Apple is more useful.

#3 Apple does not respond to comments---so those communications are not satisfying in the short (or perhaps) the long term. Their response time can be multiple years.

#4 I benefit from understanding frustrations of other users---they confirm use cases that I've arrived at as well but can't execute.

#5 "Third time in this thread alone" comments are patronizing in tone

Jun 13, 2014 4:38 AM in response to frauclem

please apple tell me what I have to pay for that a better solution? I will do it! Photostream makes sense only with possibilties to sort the photos inside a stream! and to sort the streams !! you did such a great job with icloud and photo stream - but it is not finished!!!!

Thanks a lot in advance!

You are trying to use Shared Photo Streams as shared Photo albums or slideshows, but they are intended as communication channels, not as online albums. If you treat them as streams, as they are intended to be used, it makes perfectly sense, that the images appear in the order they have been added. Drop a photo into the stream, your friend will send a different photo back, etc. Any other sort order would make the streaming cumbersome, when the stream gets long. You will want to see the most recently added photo at the head of the stream, to see immediately what is new. iPhoto on iOS device has web journals and slideshows to share online with friends, but in iPhoto on a Mac these are still missing.

I'd like to encourage you to send feedback about the usuability to the developers. After all, right now the iCloud drive and the new Photos.app for storing photos in the cloud is under developement. Since nothing at all has been announced yet how this feature will integrate with iPhoto and Aperture on a Mac, feedback will be very useful.

Jun 27, 2014 10:13 AM in response to Cidrolin

If I understand what I've read in the earlier posts, if they're arranged in the Cloud by time and date taken you can adjust this in iPhoto. It would be a bit of a pain in the nether regions but, once you get them in the order you want, you would adjust the time of each, one at a time, so that they stay in order once you put them in the cloud.

Jul 1, 2014 7:47 AM in response to léonie

I finally understand how they're added but that's exactly the problem. (Note: Before anyone tells me to contact Apple about this problem, I did.) What I'm trying to do is arrange photos on the cloud in the way I want them, not the way they want me to do it. Just because I shoot something in sequence doesn't mean I want them viewed that way. Let's say an assignment takes 5 days to shoot and I'm posting them on the cloud at the end of each day. However, the shots I take the last day have to be combined with the shots I took the first day. As of now, unless I do everything all over and re-post it all again, there isn't a way to do it. One of the goals of this forum is to educate so, if there is a way to do what I need and I'm just not seeing it, I'm not too old or egotistical to learn from anyone

sort order in iCloud shared photo stream

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.