Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor 4.1 crashes on "Add Outputs"

Hello,

My compressor has been auto-updated to 4.1. It will not allow me to "add outputs" to ANY file type.

It crashes with a Kernel Panic.

I have removed /LIBRARY/compressor/ and restarted. Still does not work.

Help please!?

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 4:45 AM

4 replies

Jan 29, 2014 1:28 AM in response to Russ H

as Russ points➕ out , you may want to be specific about what files you removed! (there's no /Library/compressor I think) 🙂,

An alternate investigation to fix method you might try is to see if this issue is related to the UI only and not the code underneath. Its possible that the settings have been modified.

From your post may we assume that this ADD OUTPUT UI mechanism fails?

User uploaded file

If so.... some Q's.

1. Are you able to MANUALLY add outputs using a simple DRAG and DROP from the Settings sidebar (example below)

User uploaded file

2. does this issue occur when you add MULTIPLE distributions to the same job (add more than one SETTING to develop two or more transcodes)?
  3. Whan you add an object for trancoding, Do you see the "select one or more settings" dialogue box?

User uploaded file

4. Regarding the "crash" can you see what THREAD failed in the crash? It's likely a corruped element. It can be fixed.

Post your results for others to see.

Warwick

Hong Kong

Feb 15, 2014 10:25 AM in response to camiono

I was having the same problem regardless of whether I chose "Add Output" or manually dragged and dropped the settings (I was only using one setting). I first used Preference Manager to trash the Compressor preferences but that didn't work. Then, as suggested by Russ, I used FCS Remover to remove Compressor 4.1.1 then reinstalled. That did the trick. I will say that Compressor still takes more time than it should to accept settings on my top-of-the-line late 2012 27" iMac with 32 GB of RAM.

Feb 19, 2014 6:20 AM in response to jgcaldwell

Hi just an old "chestnut": no amount of effort and "pointing/kneeling NORTH" or the howling at the moon that involved DELETEing the compressor.app preferences will help in these issues.😉

Reinstallation of Compressor.app:😕

1. implies the application LIBRARY and framework elements were corrupt.. (possible and improbable)
  2. causes REMOVAL of state and settings/history/template information (depending on what you used)

These issues are caused usually by:

• saved state information that is reused over compressor.app V4.1.x transactions
  • localised environment ~/ (try another user to see if you have same issues .. usually not)
  • crook settings (.plists that are corrupt when dragged in via the UI)

Most of these errors are logged somewhere or verbosely in symptom dumps.

So.. glad you have it working btw.

FWIW

W

Compressor 4.1 crashes on "Add Outputs"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.