Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with youtube after editing the host file

Like most of you I got sick of all the adds that are embeded in the youtubevideos. I installed ad block but this program only blocked the side banners and pop-ups. After searching around on goodle I found the following tip:

127.0.0.1 ads.youtube.com

127.0.0.1 s0.2mdn.net

127.0.0.1 s1.2mdn.net

127.0.0.1 googleads.g.doubleclick.net

1. Copy the 4 lines above
  2. Open the Terminal app (in Utilities)
  3. Type this command and press enter:sudo nano /etc/hosts
  4. Enter password when asked
  5. Now that the file is open, go to the last line, press enter and on the new line right click to paste the 4 lines you copied in step 1.
  6. Press Ctrl-X and then the key 'Y' and then press enter

Unfortunattely I copy pasted the lines in the beginning of the file. After trying to set the host file back to default my youtubevideos stay black. Does anyone know what I did wrong and how I can solve this problem?

Thanks for helping out!

Mac mini, Mac OS 9.1.x, Safari 7.0.1

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 5:53 AM

5 replies

Jan 28, 2014 1:56 PM in response to Mg_88

# Host Database

#

# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface

# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.

##

127.0.0.1 localhost

255.255.255.255 broadcasthost

::1 localhost

fe80::1%lo0 localhost

I deleted the lines as soon as I found out I copy pasted them above # Host Database

and closed by using ctrl+x than y and than return. Could I have created the problem because I copy pasted the lines in front of the original lines?

Jan 28, 2014 2:04 PM in response to Mg_88

The order of the lines doesn't matter. Your problem isn't being caused by the hosts file.

From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences… ▹ Flash Player Advanced

and click Delete All. Close the preference pane.

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

and confirm. Test.

If there's no improvement, reboot and test again.

Jan 28, 2014 2:15 PM in response to Mg_88

Thanks for the quick and clear answer. It indeed wasn't caused by the host file but the mistake was somewere inbeded in the setting you described above.

It does however seems to take more time before videos are loaded and good to go. But that could also be caused by one of my roommates occuping the internet for downloading.

Problems with youtube after editing the host file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.