Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac stuck on white screen after booting.

My Mac boots and after the spinning wheel at apple logo vanishes it gets stuck on white screen..

I was running the following commands in terminal when my mac froze and I had to restart it.. After that it is on the white screen..

The commands I ran :

cd Applications

cd XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/experiment

ls -l

sudo chmod 0644 /

And after that my Mac froze and I had to force restart by holding the power button.. After restart its stuck on white screen just before the login screen.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 6:49 AM

6 replies

Feb 2, 2014 9:27 PM in response to keg55

I am able to boot in Recovery HD.. did the repair permissions but that sudo command had affected the entire drive.. Reinstalling was the only option left..

Although I had to do

sudo chmod 0644 /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs

but ended up pressing the return key just after the first "/" 😟

Thanks for your help. 😀

Feb 2, 2014 9:33 PM in response to Linc Davis

Although I had booted into single user mode (Command + S) to repair drive using "fsck -fy" command but changing the permissions using chmod didn't strike me :/ I could have been saved from reinstalling the OS..

Anyway now I have reinstalled and recovered my data...

Thanks you very much for the help... at least if it happens again I know what to do now.. 😀

Mac stuck on white screen after booting.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.