Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4 Shuts off at 55% and above (I.O.S 7.0.4)

I recently have been having troubles with my iPhone 4.

I replaced the screen about 4 weeks ago with no issues. Then the battery started acting up about a week later. It wouldn't charge past 45% and would die all the time even when plugged in. Then I figured maybe the battery just happen to die too. The phone is about 13 months old. I replaced the battery and it worked for about 2 days. It would charge up to 100% and work fine until about 76% then it would start to act up again (shutting down on its own) It does this also sometimes around 90%. Once it gets down to about 55% it turns on when i turn it on. But it turns right back off once it is on for about 5 seconds.

I would like to think it is a battery calibration issue with the new battery because it will not turn off when it is plugged in (unlike the old battery which would turn off even when plugged in!) and it functions normally and still charges to 100%.

I do not know how to accomplish calibration though because it turns off right away at 55% so I can't seem to get lower than that.

I let it discharge to 55% and recharged it back to 100% and it seems to be working fine now, (only restarted once) but i fear it will start acting up again around 75ish%

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also checked the diagnostics and usage and it always says something like reset counter then in there it says boot fault vdd_under and boot stage 255 or 80

if that helps at all.

Thanks again,

Collin

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.4, Verizon

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 7:08 AM

2 replies

Jan 28, 2014 12:34 PM in response to brad805

I am seeing if I can get another battery even though I do not believe that is the issue. It keeps giving me vdd_under which I believe is under voltage, maybe it is just a faulty battery? It charges up like normal and functions normal (when plugged in, or above 90%) but it gives under voltage warnings and shuts down when in heavy use (using camera or going back and forth to imessage). When just sitting idle it doesn't seem to turn off until that 55-60% mark. It may just be a faulty battery because I feel I installed all of the other cables correctly when replacing the screen, and I don't think those connections should affect the battery anyway except for maybe the logic board cable (the 2nd cable to be unplugged after the battery cable) I guess I could clean that out as well with isopropyl just in case.

Any other suggestions would be helpful... and I will get back to you if a new battery helps. Thanks!

Iphone 4 Shuts off at 55% and above (I.O.S 7.0.4)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.