Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Child game center account

I am trying to set up a subsidiary Game Center account for my 10 year old, so he can play games on my old iPhone 4S, recently upgraded to iOS 7. This used to be easy. How do I do this?

<Edited by Host>

iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 12:50 PM

Hey, hi. Same problem here. He was actually asking about the old nickname/profile accounts you could have on Game Center that were tied to one Apple ID. So, since my kid is underage, I made him a profile on Game Center under my Apple ID. On his old iPad running iOS 5.1, he can log in using his nickname and password. Under 7.1, on his new ipad, there is no option I can find, except to use his own, unique, Apple ID.

Which is what you told Dan to do.

But he is underage. He needs to be 13 to get an Apple ID. If i lie, then whatever email address I use will forever be tied ot the incorrect birthdate. So I would prefer not to make him his own Apple ID.

Instead, I would like to use the existing Game Center profile/nickname I set up for him years ago, and which he is still using happily in iOS 5.1.

But it seems that this is probably not possible anymore.

At the very least, it would be nice of someone from Apple to tell us that the previous nickname/profile feature of Game Center is no longer supported in Game Center on iOS 7.1.

That would be sad for me, but at least it would be a straight answer.

Danny.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2014 12:50 PM in response to Delgadoh

Hey, hi. Same problem here. He was actually asking about the old nickname/profile accounts you could have on Game Center that were tied to one Apple ID. So, since my kid is underage, I made him a profile on Game Center under my Apple ID. On his old iPad running iOS 5.1, he can log in using his nickname and password. Under 7.1, on his new ipad, there is no option I can find, except to use his own, unique, Apple ID.

Which is what you told Dan to do.

But he is underage. He needs to be 13 to get an Apple ID. If i lie, then whatever email address I use will forever be tied ot the incorrect birthdate. So I would prefer not to make him his own Apple ID.

Instead, I would like to use the existing Game Center profile/nickname I set up for him years ago, and which he is still using happily in iOS 5.1.

But it seems that this is probably not possible anymore.

At the very least, it would be nice of someone from Apple to tell us that the previous nickname/profile feature of Game Center is no longer supported in Game Center on iOS 7.1.

That would be sad for me, but at least it would be a straight answer.

Danny.

Feb 1, 2014 1:26 PM in response to Delgadoh

Tried that. Now what?

I clicked on the Apple ID, signed out, tried to create a new Apple ID for my son, gave the account an appropriate age, didn't see anything about the new ID being tied to my existing Apple ID (didn't it used to do this?), and now he has a new account.

Except...he doesn't. The games are still tied to the old Game Center account. And I don't think the new account is real, because I can't re-authenticate it.

So now what?

Child game center account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.