Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari doesn't open some pages

Hi! I've noticed recently that Safari won't open webs like instagram..when I try to log in it lets me write my username and password but when it's going to load the content of the page it remains white.

And I've also noticed that it doesn't open videos on twitter for example, like vines or youtube videos that should be seen directly from the twitter page...What is the matter?

I've tried to restore Safari and make sure there were no updates needed but it has not solved the problem (and I have the latest Safari update)

I would aprecciate the help. Thank you!

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 12:08 PM

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

and confirm. Test.

20 replies

Feb 12, 2014 9:23 AM in response to BarbyAita

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Extensions

Turn all extensions OFF and test. If the problem is resolved, turn extensions back ON and then disable them one or a few at a time until you find the culprit.

If you wish, you may be able to salvage the errant extension by uninstalling and reinstalling it. Its settings will revert to their defaults. If the extension still causes a problem, remove it permanently or refer to its developer for support.

Feb 13, 2014 2:12 PM in response to BarbyAita

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you boot, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a Fusion Drive or a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Feb 13, 2014 3:50 PM in response to BarbyAita

One more test, if you don't mind. Boot in Recovery mode. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your saved bookmarks or passwords, so make a note of those before you begin, if they're needed for the test.

Test. After testing, reboot as usual and post the results.

Feb 15, 2014 8:21 AM in response to BarbyAita

Lot of good decent T/S help, but I have found of late that Safari in Mavericks will act badly. Same computer, same programs, same internet pages, same internet connection, no extensions or add ons for Safari.

Add to that mix Flash v12 (and you cannot go back since v11.9.900.170 has been declared a serious vulnerability version) and you have a real mess.

As an example - Angry Birds Star Wars will not load past the opening screen.

YET, using Firefox or Chrome, all is well.

Other problems in Safari, do not have same issues in Firefox or Chrome.

-- Same computer, same OS, no changes, no safe boot, and so on.

Could it be BECAUSE they are not inexoribly linked into the OS as Safari is?

I went through all T/S steps over my problem, nothing fixed it. That is when I tried Chrome and when all worked I had to scratch my head and mutter.... so Microsoft-like it hurts.

Since OS 10.7 one cannot reinstall Safari as a separate program. And when it fails, you have to wipe and reinstall the OS. A royal pain. And it should NOT be this way.

As a sugestion, maybe a corrupted user. Create a new temporary user with admin priviledges. Then try to use Safari as you want. If it works, then there are other steps to take. If not, it is easy enough to delete the new test user.

Feb 16, 2014 9:04 AM in response to Linc Davis

I have the same problem as TS.

MBPr late 2013, Mavericks, Safari + Chrome + Firefox. All latest updates are installed.

This problem started about a week ago.

Safari just does not open pages which it could earlier. Firefox has similar behaviour.

Even Chrome at first try sometimes say "page is not accessable", but after refresh it loads!

If Safari could load page and after that you try to refresh the page, you would get broken CSS and scripts (does not matter how much you would refresh the page after that).

But if you put cursor to address line and press Enter, page would load successfully.

Safari doesn't open some pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.