Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phoenix CE??

So my friend bought an iMac at BestBuy the other day, and when he got it home he turned it on and got a weird program instead of the MacOS X setup screen...

I took a look at it for him and it boots into 10.8.4 and immediately runs a program called Phoenix CE and seems to go through automated tests. I tried googling it and I couldn't find good info on any of it. I had him return the unit and get a different one which was fine, but I managed to take a video of it booting and screenshots and even dumped the hard drive before he brought it back.

When it first boots, rather than getting just the gray apple logo, it shows a black screen with a lot of white text I assume is the bios?

Can someone elaborate on this? I can provide all of what I have, which is roughly 21gb dump. The HDD was formatted as two partitions labeled "MaxDisk" which was bootable, and a blank 5gb partition named "DIAG".

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 9:02 AM

7 replies

Jan 29, 2014 6:32 AM in response to bubbamj

It's not legal because 1) the software that comes with your Mac is licensed only for that Mac and 2) OS X 10.8 is not free software nor is it in the public domain, so it is not legal to share, regardless of how you obtained it.

So no, it's not "mine to do what I want". If you want to break Apple's licensing agreement and the law, that's your choice, but I would strongly suggest you not post about it in Apple's own forums.

Phoenix CE??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.