Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HARD DRIVE FULL

My external hard drive I use for backup is full. Would it be save to delete unneeded files from my internal hard drive, then delete all files from my external hard drive and start over with the backup processin order to save space?

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 9:17 AM

14 replies

Jan 28, 2014 9:18 AM in response to skipmacdonald

Freeing Up Space on The Hard Drive

1. See Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks' Storage Display.

2. You can remove data from your Home folder except for the /Home/Library/ folder.

3. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on freeing up space on your hard drive.

4. Also see Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk.

5. See Where did my Disk Space go?.

6. See The Storage Display.

You must Empty the Trash in order to recover the space they occupied on the hard drive.

You should consider replacing the drive with a larger one. Check out OWC for drives, tutorials, and toolkits.

Try using OmniDiskSweeper 1.8 or GrandPerspective to search your drive for large files and where they are located.

Jan 28, 2014 11:53 AM in response to Kappy

I am currently using a 3TB external hard drive and 95% of it is full from backup files and I believe a lot of the files have been dupicated and re duplicated. It also is backing up my FIRST backup external hard drive which is 1TB. Thought 3TB would be adequate when I purchased it. Is there no other option but to buy yet another external HD?

Jan 28, 2014 12:08 PM in response to skipmacdonald

I'm assuming you are using Time Machine for backup, and Time Machine is an archival backup utility that keeps adding to a backup until the backup drive becomes full. Other backup utilities have the option to simply overwrite changed files which saves on disk space at the expense of losing older file copies.

You can simply erase the backup drive and start over.

Suggested Backup Software

1. Carbon Copy Cloner

2. Get Backup

3. Deja Vu

4. SuperDuper!

5. Synk Pro

6. Tri-Backup

Others may be found at VersionTracker or MacUpdate.

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on backup and restore. Also read How to Back Up and Restore Your Files.

Jan 28, 2014 3:22 PM in response to skipmacdonald

No. I'm suggesting you erase your Time Machine backup drive and start the backups over. If you need to rid your internal drive of files to make more space then get a second external drive to use for permanent storage. Place the files you don't need on the internal drive on the external one so you can delete them from the internal drive and gain more free space.

In simple words you need to start managing your data.

HARD DRIVE FULL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.