Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't create a new CoreStorage Logical Volume on an External SSD

Hi,

I have an external SSD (240 GB Kingston SV300) in an enclosure (NexStar3 SuperSpeed USB / eSata) that I attach to my late 2013 MacBook Pro 15". It works just fine as a journaled HFS+ disk. Quick and effective. I just can't seem to encrypt it. When I try, I get this:

sh-3.2# diskutil cs convert /dev/disk2s2

Started CoreStorage operation on disk2s2 External

Resizing disk to fit Core Storage headers

Creating Core Storage Logical Volume Group

Unable to create Core Storage Logical Volume Group

A problem occurred; undoing all changes

Reclaiming space formerly used by Core Storage metadata

Error: -69784: Unable to create a new CoreStorage Logical Volume Group

I can't seem to find anything out there that suggests why this might be happening. Oddly enough, anything else I've tried to attach and encrypt seems to work just fine. I'm starting to suspect it's something to do with either the enclosure or the drive, but that seems quite odd to me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 10:06 AM

4 replies

Jan 31, 2014 2:38 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi,

So I decided that another external enclosure would be something to try. Note that the enclosure I was using seemed to work fine (ie, data transferred from the SSD I had put in the enclosure and I saw no other errors), but failed to allow me to encrypt with the error noted above.

The other enclosure works just fine for encryption. So, if you want to use an external USB 3.0 enclosure on a Macbook Pro, don't go for the NexStar3 SuperSpeed USB / eSata. I purchased a StarTech.com USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA Hard Drive Enclosure (PN SAT2510BU32) which is currently working fine.

Thanks for the help!

Can't create a new CoreStorage Logical Volume on an External SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.