Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with random people Face-Timing me

I need help. I have a common Apple e-mail address, and I am getting little kids face-timing me and sending me iMessages through my email address at all hours of the day and night.

When I message them back and tell them that I am not their "little friend," they don't believe me, and start sending me even more messages, thinking that their little friend is just kidding around with them.

The only people who I want sending me iMessages or Face-Timing me are friends who have my phone number. I can't find a way to block these kids on my computer's iMessage app...the option is grayed out.

And since they are random people Face-Timing on my phone, I can't block them because I don't know who they are. I can block them after the fact (iOS7), but not before. The only thing I can figure out to block them is to shut down FaceTime to my phone using my email address.

I do threaten them and tell them that I'm going to report them to Apple. I just reported the last one, after typing back a response that included some pretty choice cuss words...can I get in trouble for that? I'm just sick and tired of this.

I can't get rid of my email address, and get a new one. I've had this for far too long....like almost 16 years...and some of my business contacts and friends know how to reach me only through that addresss.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 12:11 PM

4 replies

Jan 28, 2014 12:45 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

(Also, if I sounded harsh in my iMessage replies above, the one where I'm "yelling," I had received about 15 consecutive FaceTime requests from the person...her mom then apologizes. I was at dinner with friends and was losing my patience...the time stamp of my reply is 9:37 p.m., if it was a kid, they must've been in a different timezone.)

I found a setting under preferences that says "You can be reached for messages at:" and then it lists all of the email addresses and my phone number. I unchecked them.

I saw another setting in FaceTime Preferences with similar boxes, and I unchecked them, too. In FaceTime I was looking for a "block" setting, and didn't find one. In Messages, under Buddies, there is a "block person" option, but it's grayed out...I can't figure out how to enable that setting.

Perhaps Apple should make it clear how to do this? Is it a block, or is it a preference? I should be able to right-click on a peron's message and block them directly. I would love to block icloud.com accounts since that seems to be where most of the problems are coming from.

We'll see if that works. Thanks for the suggestion!

Problem with random people Face-Timing me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.