Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remote for itunes on shared library

Hello.

On my mac mini in the living room is attached a USB drive with all music for itunes. The remote app on IOS works fine for this mini.

In my office on the same lan I have a mini which uses home sharing to see that library. However its headless straight into a hifi.

For the life of me I cannot owrk out how I can play music from the home share through this mini, is it possible? All the remote app shows is the few songs it has in its native library.

Any help appriciated because it seems to detract from the point of the home share thing.

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 2:23 PM

Hi Gary,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

You should be able to access your Home Sharing library with Remote by pairing the two using these steps:

Pair Remote with your Home Sharing network

To use Remote 2.0 (or later) with Home Sharing, every iTunes library you want to control must have Home Sharing turned on. For more information, see Use Home Sharing to import items from another iTunes library.

1. Tap Remote on your device’s Home screen.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap to turn Home Sharing on.
  4. Type your Apple ID and password, and tap Done.
  5. Tap the iTunes library or Apple TV you want to control.

For more information, see the Remote Support website.

You can find these steps and more information here:

iTunes 11 for Mac: Use the Remote app to control your iTunes library

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12157

Best Regards,

Jeremy

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2014 2:23 PM in response to Gary i

Hi Gary,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

You should be able to access your Home Sharing library with Remote by pairing the two using these steps:

Pair Remote with your Home Sharing network

To use Remote 2.0 (or later) with Home Sharing, every iTunes library you want to control must have Home Sharing turned on. For more information, see Use Home Sharing to import items from another iTunes library.

1. Tap Remote on your device’s Home screen.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap to turn Home Sharing on.
  4. Type your Apple ID and password, and tap Done.
  5. Tap the iTunes library or Apple TV you want to control.

For more information, see the Remote Support website.

You can find these steps and more information here:

iTunes 11 for Mac: Use the Remote app to control your iTunes library

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12157

Best Regards,

Jeremy

Jan 30, 2014 2:40 PM in response to jeremy_v

Jeremy, thanks for that. I will give it a go in the morning. However I presume the app will understand that I am trying to control the mini therefore the mini should goto the network to get the music from home sharing, i.e. I don't want music being sent via the iphone, ala airplay type thing.

Hope that makes sense.

remote for itunes on shared library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.