Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

deinstalling iTunes This action cannot be completed because this file or folder is open in another program

Hello-I have a 64 bit Windows 7 PC. I have installed iTunes on it and ever since IOS7 iTunes will not recognize my iPhone. I have retored it numerous times and it will revert to not recognizing it. I went to the Apple Store again today and the man suggested that I follow the directions to uninstall and reinstall iTunes on my PC (this is the second time doing this). I followed the instructions exactly. There is a part at the end where you are told to make sure that all of the files and folders are uninstalled from your computer, I did check but found out that C:/Program Files/Common Files/Apple and C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Apple were still there. They do not appear in the Control Panel Deinstall Programs, so I went into the files through Windows Explorer, right clicked and attempted to delete them that way. I got a message,"This action cannot be completed because this file or folder is open in antoerh program."

I have gone to the Microsoft site and tried thier recommendations to make the Apple folder/file close and that has not worked. I am asking you, how to close the Apple folder so that I can delete it?

I am planning to reinstall iTunes, and would really like my computer to recognize my iPhone and to be able to sync my computer with my iPhone as I did in the past.

Thank you.

iPhone 5, Other OS, OS 7I have a Dell Latitude as well.

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 1:49 PM

3 replies

Jan 28, 2014 2:15 PM in response to turingtest2

OK, I ran services.msc. I got back a hefty list of running services. Some of them could be related, some are named something unfamiliar and so I would not know if they were related. Is there some way to find out which services are running the Apple folder? Or where the Apple folder is open? Or are there "usual suspects"? I imagine the ones which are "started" and "automatic" would be the most likely, right?

deinstalling iTunes This action cannot be completed because this file or folder is open in another program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.