Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Server Permissions

Hi, I installed Lion server on my old Mac Pro 1,1 to use as a media centre and backup server. I was playing with permissions to limit access to certain files and folders by certain users and apparently setting permissions isn't as intuitive as I'd think it would be! For some reason my administer account now can't access the Downloads folder even though in the Server App I've the account to have read and write access to that folder.

Maybe someone can explain how server access permissions work? But more importantly, how can I reset all permissions on the server to their default settings?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Jason

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 2:16 PM

1 reply

Feb 4, 2014 9:38 PM in response to Johny Classic

The easiest way is to creat a new user account using the server.app. Then compare the default permission for the fdefault folders to the ones which wer messed up.

There are two levels of permission in OSX (including server) standard UNIX permission or POSIX and Access Control List or ACL.

The home directory should have only POSIX permissions and can be easly displayed in terminal wihtthe command ls -l

I hope that helps.

Lion Server Permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.