Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Synching Documents with iCloud

I currently use MS Office for Mac but would like to convert everything to the latest version of iWorks. Converting the documents isn't the problem...but storing them on iCloud is. I now use Google Drive, but if I start using nothing but iWorks and iCloud, what happens to .txt files and .pdf files? I "need"...no, let me say "must" have folder organization, so I think iWorks and iCloud are probably out of the equations.

If I want a folder named "Work Stuff" and in it I want Pages documents, Numbers documents, .txt files, .pdf files, etc., apparently there is no way I can use iCloud. If I want to have a folder named "Work Stuff" within the iCloud Pages beta, and "Work Stuff" inside the iCould Numbers beta, and similarly .txt or .pdf files within the Preview and TextEdit iCloud apps...I could. But nothing (that I see) lets me organize files and folders based on content (as it's been done for the past 50 years) within iCloud.

I hope I'm missing something, but I don't think I am, in which case I'm relegated to keep using MS Office and Google Drive :-(

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 3:50 PM

4 replies

Jan 29, 2014 5:50 AM in response to dU2mDUifydkRa0E9ic5A

Snozdrop, I know that...but if you'll read what I posted about the "organization" I would have to have a folder in every component of iCloud named the same thing. If I'm working on a project called "TEST" and it has Pages files, Numbers files, Text files, and PDFs...these files each reside in four different places in iCloud. Why would I want to string out the files like that? Like my Mac or any other cloud service, I want to just create *one* folder named "TEST" and have all my related files in it.

I "get" how this all currently works...have been using a Mac for the last decade and I'm a retired geek. I'm just saying if Apple really wanted to compete with users of Dropbox, SkyDrive, Google Drive, etc., they should be more flexible.

Also, let's say I want to store files on iCloud that are not from iWorks, TextEdit, Preview, etc. Currently, I can't do that in iCloud. Again, I'd gladly pay to have all my storage on iCloud, but I'm not going to break it up and have some things there and others on Dropbox.

That Apple is trying to change the world regarding file structure is certainly debatable :-)

Jan 29, 2014 10:06 AM in response to Larry McJunkin

I know all that. There's no point telling us what you can and can't do with iCloud storage. We "get" how it works too. You can't do what you want because iCloud isn't like "any other cloud service".

But Apple have never said they want to compete with Dropbox, OneDrive & Google Drive. It's a different service, with a different purpose and different methods of working.

If you want to tell Apple what you want, do so here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

BTW, it's Snozdop.

Jan 29, 2014 10:41 AM in response to dU2mDUifydkRa0E9ic5A

First...sorry about typing your name wrong. And I know I'm preaching to the choir, but sometimes I look at what Apple does and wonder why. But then again they're much wiser than me so far be it from me to expect any changes. I'll just continue to use another cloud service that suits my work flow, but that sad part about that is I can't use iWorks in doing so. I can't help but think there are thousands of users with the same problem. Thanks for your comments.

Synching Documents with iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.