Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cursor is not responding and moving on its own

This problem started yesterday. I use an Imac and a macbook pro, and I was using my laptop when the trackpad stopped working. It was responding but the cursor was moving slowly. I decided to use my mouse and everything was fine. I thought it was just a little problem and I could figure it out later if it continued to not work. This morning I opened up my laptop and it was fine for a little bit, then the cursor went crazy. It was like my cursor was just running around and doing random gestures, opening random things. My applications were fine, but the cursor was just going around and opening them. It was very random, so I didn't think anyone was controlling my computer.

I did have control of my cursor but it wasn't completely responding. I tried shutting it down, putting it to sleep, etc. Nothing worked. I then decided to just turn it off for an hour and when I reopened it, it was fine. After a few minutes it went crazy again. I think my battery might be swollen, I don't know. Apple decided to use the smalled screws in the world so I can't open the back off, can anyone please tell me what's going on? I'm taking it to the apple store tomorrow but I want to figure out what's wrong first.

It's a MacBook Pro 13 inch

I've had it for about 2 1/2 years

thanks,

Dan

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 3:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 3:36 PM

Your local hardware store should have a #00 Phillips driver. That will allow you to take off the bottom cover of the MBP.

The other option is to make an appointment at an Apple store genius bar and have them examine the battery (for free).

Ciao.

31 replies

Jan 28, 2014 3:40 PM in response to onlyin5d

Check these out maybe some help here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1248

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1449

There has also been reports of batteries swelling and causing this type of issue (They are under the track pad)

If the links don't help, bring it to an Apple Genius bar and have it checked out, the diagnosis is free. The swollen battery can cause other more serious issues.

Feb 10, 2014 7:27 PM in response to Ginamama

Mine was just the trackpad. Once they replaced it everything worked fine. I do also have a failing battery which I will need to replace. Batteries are easy to replace but are expensive. My laptop doesn't last nearly as long as before but I won't spend 150$ until I really need to. Hopefully I can hold it off for at least 6 months.

Feb 11, 2014 2:24 PM in response to onlyin5d

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thank the Lord! My mouse cursor was moving erratically, seemed to be opening tabs, maybe doing the equivalent of holding shift and dragging, minimized windows, etc. Pretty much the same problems I see on other's posts.

I tried dissonnecting WI-FI, then shutting off Bluetooth, Disconnected and Turned off my Bluetooth Mouse, disconnected my wireless keyboard nub from the USB port, tried shutting off my Macbook and restrarting. I even shut the lid of my Macbook and worked off my second monitor in clamshell mode. NOTHING WORKED.

I thought I was hacked or had some type of Malware for sure, but it was a simple fix that I found on another help board.

I clean my Mac, keyboard and mouse regularly and had just got done wiping everything with a cloth with a mixture of warm water and rubbing alcohol (recommended)

I saw on another board that someone fixed their problem by moving their trackpad (gently) to the right, since the trackpad seemed to be too snug on the left side of the macbook body edge it sits in.

I moved the trackpad over and it took care of my problem immediately.

It was comforting to learn that Malware on a Mac is in fact still rare and that it is unlikely that someone would hack into your computer to 'remote control' your machine and be obvious about it.

No ghost in the machine. Trackpad is incredibly sensiitive I've learned.

Share the knowledge!

Blessings!

Oct 11, 2014 5:07 AM in response to Blublud02

"I saw on another board that someone fixed their problem by moving their trackpad (gently) to the right, since the trackpad seemed to be too snug on the left side of the macbook body edge it sits in.

I moved the trackpad over and it took care of my problem immediately."

Do you mean you opened up the machine and moved the trackpad internally? Or just pushed it to the right from the top?

Apr 20, 2015 5:59 AM in response to onlyin5d

I don't know with yours, but resetting the SMC of my RMB worked for me.

Mac notebook computers that have a battery you should not remove include: MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, MacBook (Late 2009), and MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015).

To reset the SMC:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Cursor is not responding and moving on its own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.