Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air. I need to copy all of the data on an external hard drive onto another external hard drive.

I have a Macbook Air, with little free space on the internal hard drive. I need to copy all of the files from an external hard drive (640GB) to another external hard drive (1TB).

Can this be done somehow by me, or do I need to get a service to do it, or take it in to Apple, or????

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 3:31 PM

1 reply

Jan 28, 2014 3:36 PM in response to Lotharia

No, very easy to do, purchase a nice 1TB or 2TB Hitachi or Toshiba or Seagate HD at best buy, or amazon.com etc.

$65 1TB

or $100 for 2TB HD either 2.5" or 3.5" HD

you format the HD, then drag and drop files to it.

You should always however have 2 minimum external HD to prevent single choke point failure on an external HD. Because any and all HD can and will fail

when you get your hard drive

o to DISK UTILITY and verify what it says your HD is formatted as under the "ERASE" tab

HFS+ above is the "mac format"

Format (erase) it in "mac osx Extended journaled"

AFTER THIS YOU CAN DRAG AND DROP FILES AS YOU LIKE 😊

Or you can turn your external HD into a Time Machine for data backups

see differences here:

Methodology to protect your data. Backups vs. Archives. Long-term data protection

To show HD on desktop

go into FINDER at top then PREFERENCES then GENERAL tab

then check "hard disks" and "external disks"

Macbook Air. I need to copy all of the data on an external hard drive onto another external hard drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.