1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 23, 2014 6:45 AM by Ray Allen
Cartoonguy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

So, havng had all kinds of problems with my Fusion drive and my digital audio software (documented all over the place) I am considering splitting my Fusion drive and making it into a simple 128GB SSD with an internal 3TB 7200rpm physical drive.  I can see that this can be done via Terminal:  http://macs.about.com/od/diyguidesprojects/ss/Split-Your-Fusion-Drive-Apart.htm

It looks a little scary, but I think it shouldn't be too hard.  I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there really much of a disadvantage to this set up compared to a Fusion?  All the OS and apps would be on the SSD, so it seems one would get that advantage and it's essentially the set up that is sold with any new Mac Pro, so why bother with Fusion at all?  Well, especially since it is causing all these problems for me.

2. I have a Time Machine back up, but of course it's a back up that is 2TB in size since I have all my stuff on it, as well as the OS and apps.  So if I use that Time Machine back up to restore my system (since splitting the drive erases it) then how does the 128 SSD deal with my 2TB of stuff?  Will the Mac allow me to restore just the OS and apps from a Time Machine back up and then copy the rest of my data to the seperate drive?  If not, then what is the best way to do this?

Or, should I return my week old iMac and get a pure SSD?  256GB SSD is $500.  Well, $200 more than the Fusion, but the Fusion gives me a 3TB internal drive too.  (Should I have numbered this the third questoin??)

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 3.4 GHz, Fusion drive