Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

in ibooks author how to make an existing page start a new section

I have imported a Pages document into ibook authors (version 2.1.1 in OS 10.9.1) using the Classic Text Template. The original Pages document was basically a book, with title and table of contents and forward and several sections. Now everything is one huge unit. During the import I can choose a layout, but only a chapter or a section. Then all of the document is regarded as having that layout -- every page is regarded as having the section layout, for example, though only the first page has the smaller text area and the large text as a header. I can see all the layout possibilities in the Layouts sidebar, and they include section and forward and 1 column. When I hover the cursor over a particular page the book sidebar I see the little triangle that has been mentioned, and it offers options for changing layout, but it does not allow me to make that page a new section or a forward. I can only make the page 2 column or put a sidebar on it. I cannot see how I can import the book and be able to create chapters and sections with ibooks author. I can insert a new section layout, or a new page, but I do not see how to to change a page, after it is imported and is considered to be the text of a chapter or section, into the start of a new chapter or section. I do not find anything in the inspector or on the menubar or in the help center that makes this change. The "add a chapter title" does not change the layout to make the text box smaller, as it should for a layout. Is it actually possible to convert a Pages book into an ibook authors book, or must I create the blank chapters and sections in ibook authors and then cut and paste each section from Pages?

Aperture 3, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 8:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 3:23 AM

iBooksAuthor does not have a facility to allow pages to convert to sections.

If you now insert a section, it go to the bottom of the tree.

If you can split your Pages made book into separate chapters, you can then import them into iBA, other than that, the only option would be copy and paste.

I find it easier to create the book template, and save as a template, open in IBA and name it. I then add chapters and sections if needed and copy snd paste the content. It take a little longer, but saves all tbe hassle of trying to get square pegs nto round holes!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2014 3:23 AM in response to bws5

iBooksAuthor does not have a facility to allow pages to convert to sections.

If you now insert a section, it go to the bottom of the tree.

If you can split your Pages made book into separate chapters, you can then import them into iBA, other than that, the only option would be copy and paste.

I find it easier to create the book template, and save as a template, open in IBA and name it. I then add chapters and sections if needed and copy snd paste the content. It take a little longer, but saves all tbe hassle of trying to get square pegs nto round holes!

Jan 29, 2014 7:16 AM in response to vinnyvg

Well, this is too bad. I had begun to guess that this could not be done. If I were designing iBooks Author I would certainly allow a user to apply the style of Chapter Head or Section Head to a line of text, to start a new chapter or section. That would, I see, be incredibly powerful by comparison with the present App. Thanks.

Jan 29, 2014 1:56 PM in response to bws5

The advice given for iBA, is to preplan your book. Modify an exsiting template as your layout suits you, to present a quality book to your readers.

iBooks Author is really more "app" than a book maker like inDesign or even Pages, - and users should really get to know how to use it before starting out on a serious project.

The insert options are clear - you can insert a Chapter from MS Word or Pages in iBA a "chapter" is a distinct "standalone" part of a book which can include sections and pages as required. Sections can be moved up or down within their chapter or can be copied from one chapter to another. The pages in any chapter are static and the only way to change content location is copy and paste.

From your post, its seems you decided to create you book using Pages and in one chapter expecting iBA to reformat it.

I would suggest a solution is to count your chapters and add that number into an iBA new book, then copy your Pages chapters. I would guess that the whole process would take less than 30 minutes.

Apple recieves feedback and suggestions for improvements, however the last update made very few changes to the application and none of those seen in many posts - such as being able to move pages. This indicates that Apple at least, are satisfied that the version is functional enough for how Apple see books being made for its store. 12 months ago this forum was taking hundreds of posts per day asking advice, its now a trickle- which I take to be in indicator that as a group, iBA users have taught themselves how to use the application and its many options and third party add on's. iBA is more suited to the interactive side of publications as Apple intended, creating a mainly text only "novel" seems to be considered by Apple as the easy part!

in ibooks author how to make an existing page start a new section

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.