Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password for encrypted external hardrive is not accepted, but correct in keychain

Last night in umounted my encrpyted external harddrive from my Macbook. This morning I reattached it back, and I was asked for my password, even that I have checked "Save password to keychain" which would automount it automatically, which worked fine for several months.....

So I tried entering it my password several times, but it was not accepted. I opend up the keychain management tool and you can unhide the password. The password I am entering is matching with that one stored in the keychain. I entered my password in a Terminal/Editor to see that for some funny reason the keymapping is wrong or something, and tried different USB ports for the hard drive. Nothing works..... So, what is happening here ?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 1:05 AM

2 replies

Feb 3, 2014 3:50 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric

Thanks for you suggestion, I tried that, but the hard drive wouldn't react for 2-3 days. Also the tool said that there are no problems with the keys etc, IIRC.

It looked like the filesystem had problems which wouldn't be repaired until unlocked, which wouldn't unlock until repaired (chicken-egg-problem).

Then out of a sudden, it worked again, mysteriously. I bought a Timecapsule to have a backup device in general, and while I was setting up my network and stuff I realised that the icon for my harddrive appeared on the screen for no apparent reason. It works now as normal es ever, as nothing strange ever had happened. I had set the same password for my TC as I am using for encryption for the external drive.....

I still don't know what really happened, but kids make sure, that you even backup your backups!

Regards

Password for encrypted external hardrive is not accepted, but correct in keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.