Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make service keyboard combi work system-wide

Goodmorning all,

On installing iMacs on behave of a big customer of ours, we want to enable a keyboard shortcut. Upon pressing a certain keyboard combo, a certain programm should launch. We have used this method:

http://www.macosxautomation.com/services/learn/tut01/index.html

However, the shortcuts are only active in programms (let's take safari for example), when we first select Safari -> Services in the menubar.

At first i thought rebooting the iMac should solve it, but no such luck.

To make things worse, we have to do this for EVERY programm. So when we make the keyboard combo 'active' in safari, when selecting Safari -> Services in the menubar, the combo still won't work in other programms. We have to repeat the trick for Google Chrome, Libre Office, and so on.

Additional info: I created the services with the automator service launch application. We choose the option Service receives selected text in ANY application.

The OS X version is 10.8.5 an we've tried this on various 24 and 27 inch iMacs and a Macbook Pro with both mavericks and mountain lion. Results are the same all over the place.

Any help on getting this service active is much, veeeery much appreciated!

Michel

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 11:48 PM

2 replies

Jan 29, 2014 2:19 PM in response to MK_stark_industries

MK_stark_industries wrote:

However, the shortcuts are only active in programms (let's take safari for example), when we first select Safari -> Services in the menubar.

If you did it correctly, that service should be available in any running app and not only when the app in question is running. Review those steps again. There might be an issue with getting the Finder to respect the shortcut, but this is beyond my ken. Alternatively, post your query to the macosxautomation site.

Feb 10, 2014 1:27 AM in response to baltwo

If you did it correctly, that service should be available in any running app and not only when the app in question is running. Review those steps again. There might be an issue with getting the Finder to respect the shortcut, but this is beyond my ken. Alternatively, post your query to the macosxautomation site.

Thanks for you answer!

However, the shortcuts are only active in programms

Sorry, perhaps i stated that part wrong. By 'active' i mean that they are working. Shortcuts all always visible in each programm under 'services'.

How to make service keyboard combi work system-wide

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.