Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to completely remove Keychain. Stop it Completely.

As per my subject line, How do I completely disable/remove/I-do-not-want-keychain-to-be-activated-at-all as I have 5 iMacs for Public Usage. Anyway I can uninstall Keychain ? Like how u can simply uninstall programs in Windows? This feature is getting extremely annoying. It keeps recreating the Keychain entry/account/whatever called "login".

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 12:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 2:05 PM

You can't. Macs use it for security reasons.

20 replies

Jan 30, 2014 1:21 AM in response to baltwo

Errr...thats no good then, it keeps prompting me to login to Keychain under user "login" whch I have not set any password for (I even tried root password but still does not work) and when I try to update the password, I cant, as it keeps saying that I need to enter the "Current Password" which I have no idea what it is. I did delete the user/account "login" as per some guides, but it keeps on reappearing, is this because I am trying to modify the built-in Guest account? as per my previous post:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5817151

I am modifying the Guest account because I want it to reset back to the template even after users try to change stuff (modified it so it has the company wallpaper, browsers set to company websites, and customised the dock)

Keychain didnt act up this way in previous versions, it was all fine back in Mountain Lion.

Jun 10, 2014 3:18 PM in response to Kenneth Khaw

Hi,

I've been having this same issue. I believe I actually got past it now. In my situation, I've created a "Template" user with everything set the way I want. Logout of that user and in as root. Go into the /Users/Template/Library folder, select all and copy. Now over to the Library folder in the English.lproj folder and paste in what I copied earlier. I usually make sure that the folder is empty before pasting but that may not be necessary. The Keychains folder in there is what causes these annoying messages, so, open it. I had three files in this location. Login.keychain and two others named alpha-numerically, and rather long names at that. One had a modification date the same as my Login.keychain and the other was from a while back. Trashing the two newer ones did the trick. Trashing all three caused problems with keychains for Safari and Chrome. Trashing only the Login.keychain caused other problems but trashing the two files with similar modification dates seems to work for me.

HTH.

Jun 11, 2014 7:50 AM in response to dianeoforegon

Hi,

I don't believe that you comprehend the gist of the thread here. What we have been doing is creating a customized Guest user with various parameters, looks and feels all specifically configured. So, the default Guest user does not meet our needs. In SL, Lion and ML, the Keychain was not an issue but in Mavericks, it became a problem for many folks using this method. We are aware of the nature of the Guest user, but have used that feature to our advantage and gone further. In my testing so far, the Keychain error has not reared its ugly head again within my customized Guest user environment.

How to completely remove Keychain. Stop it Completely.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.