Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wattage for 27-inch IMAC ?

HI,

I am trying to determine battery sizing for a backup battery

and I am having trouble determing the proper wattage used for my

27-inch mid-2011 IMAC 2.7 GHz Intel Core I5 that I bought on 11 / 7 / 2011.

I found at the following APPLE website

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3559

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)
27-inch display, 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB, 1TBGB Serial ATA hard drive, AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics
Power ConsumptionThermal Output
IdleCPU MaxIdleCPU Max
135 W170 W461 BTU/h580 BTU/h

BUT, the power figures on the bottom of the stand of my IMAC says:

Model number: 11312 100-240V~ 50-60Hz 4.0A

Serial No: C0*******HJP EMC No: 2429

THUS, I thought the wattage was 120V x 4.0 amps = 480 watts??? (not 170W as listed above)

1) Can someone please clarify for me what the correct wattage is??

thanx much!!

Mark

<Edited by Host>

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5), none

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 12:26 AM

6 replies

Aug 20, 2017 12:54 AM in response to bart125

1. The 170 W is actually just the CPU chip¹!

2. The actual formula for determining AC wattage using rated volts and amps is PF x V x A (where PF is power factor). Not usually published I ignore PF and just multiply volts and amps as you have. However, because Apple doesn't know the details of each individual iMac configuration going out the door, they have to state the maximum rating which assumes that every port is in use, every accessory has been added, the graphics board is going full tilt, the RAM is fully populated, etc., etc., etc.. Ergo, 480 W. But the power supply used in Mike's specific configuration was based on the known loading in that configuration so they only installed a 310 W power supply. Eh. Their call. They've made billions at this game so who am I to argue with their ratings.

Now, back to sizing the UPS. Go ahead and use the 480 W -- a margin of safety won't hurt you at all -- and add in the wattage of all the other devices you want on battery backup. Take that total wattage and multiply by 1.25. That's my rule-of-thumb for UPS selection. Then select a UPS with equal or higher watts rating (ignore the VA rating). I also prefer UPS units with replaceable batteries but that is your choice (keeping in mind every couple years the battery will need to be replaced).

¹ For example: http://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/intel-core-i5-4670k-haswell-cpu-review/6/

Aug 20, 2017 2:47 PM in response to bart125

Total wattage will depend on screen size, processor (65 or 95 watt), hard drive type (SSD or platter), bluetooth / wireless enabled, etc...

I would choose my UPS based on whether I need software support or not...

This $50 APC 450 watt is a good basic one, but lacks the software connection, and also lacks the USB charging port.

I use it for all my extras, external drives, printers, etc...

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/383084/APC-Back-UPS-BN450M-Battery-Backup/

Look on the side of this APC 650 and you will see a software support socket. Plug it into a Mac running Snow Leopard (I believe) or higher, and it is auto recognized, and under "System Preferences", "Energy Saver", and you will see an new tab "UPS", which you can configure to auto shutdown your computer.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/321880/APC-Back-UPS-BN650M1-Battery-Backup /

Also has a USB port to charge your iPad, iPhone, etc...

Lower than Snow? Download the PowerChute software from APC....

Hint - Change the sensitivity to "High", plug the UPS in for an hour, turn it on, let it charge. Turn it off, the push the button to turn it on, but do not let go, hold for ten seconds, Button will turn red, and flash, push the button to cycle through, Red, Green, Amber. Stay on amber, . Wait 15 seconds, it will turn off.

Now turn on as normal.

Wattage for 27-inch IMAC ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.