Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which modem for AirPort Extreme?

I bought an AirPort Extreme recently and was wondering which Modem I should use to utilize its dualband technology, the new 802.11ac, and even the 802.11n speeds.

It seems that the Motorola SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 High-Speed Cable Modem

is my best option as far as speed and reliability goes, but do I have to get one like this to utilize the Airport?

Another factor is that I have brighthouse right now and a plan with them that offers 60mbps.

So that's 1300mbps with the AEBS, 320 mbps with the motorola modem, and 60mbps with my ISP.

Which one am I really getting! How do I get the fastest internet!

Thank you:)

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 3:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 3:56 AM

Hello,

The limiting factor is the speed that your ISP offers.

Regarding Wi-Fi, please note that the actual speed at the computer depends on the distance and sources of interference. It is always good to have a base station with sufficient extra capacity.

Regarding the modem, do not forget to check with the ISP what they allow or recommend. The modem must have an Ethernet port.

Jan

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2014 3:56 AM in response to Dre727

Hello,

The limiting factor is the speed that your ISP offers.

Regarding Wi-Fi, please note that the actual speed at the computer depends on the distance and sources of interference. It is always good to have a base station with sufficient extra capacity.

Regarding the modem, do not forget to check with the ISP what they allow or recommend. The modem must have an Ethernet port.

Jan

Jan 29, 2014 5:04 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

The Modem I want will be allowed by my ISP and also has an ethernet port.

But is it even worth getting since you say "the limiting factor is the speed that your ISP offers"

None of the ISP have speeds close to what the AEBS can attain so does this really even matter? I'm so confused as to what speed is the actual speed. Which one is it or is it like an average?

Jan 29, 2014 5:56 AM in response to Dre727

You could use any (approved) modem that has a capacity to handle the speed that your ISP is able to deliver. Anything above that is just a reserve for future incoming Internet speed updates.

If, for example, your ISP offers broadband at up to 60 Mbps, that would be the maximum possible Internet speed in your system. The AirPort Extreme base station can operate at much high speeds per se, but you are not going to get anything above 60 Mbps anywhere when connected to the Internet in this example.

As I mentioned earlier, the speed in a Wi-Fi network will be reduced depending upon distance and interference, so it is an advantage to have a base station capable of handling higher speeds. However, this does not mean that you can get more than the 60 Mbps at the computer, but it would at least ensure that the actual speed is as close as possible to this value. If you had an older 802.11g router instead, even a computer with fast Wi-Fi would be limited to receiving perhaps something like 15 Mbps only a few metres away.

There is probably a speed test service in your area (similar to www.bredbandskollen.se here in Sweden) that would allow you to verify the actual Internet speed at the modem. Remember that the speed can differ substantially during a 24h period.

Purely local connections (on your internal wired or wireless network) can operate at higher speeds.

Jan

Jan 29, 2014 10:06 AM in response to Dre727

>No ISP offers even CLOSE to 1300mbps.

It depends entirely on where you live. I just took a look at what two of the major ISPs in Sweden offer. One (Com Hem) has a plan with a download speed of up to 300-500 Mbps, another (Bredbandsbolaget) a plan with up to 500-1000 Mbps download. These plans/speeds are not available in all areas, but they do exist.

Jan

Which modem for AirPort Extreme?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.