Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor 4.1 fails on distributed encode

I get the following error when I try to submit a job to a cluster of 2 locally networked computers:

FAILED: Host [local machine] Source File /path/to/source.mov cannot be processed on more than one computer because file copy is not supported

Compressor sharing on the remote node is enabled, the cluster is configured on the host node (with the source footage) and "Enable automatic file sharing" is checked.

The source file is in the host node's home directory (NOT on a network volume). I found http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5360 but that doen't apply (the solution in that article is for source footage on network volumes, mine isn't).

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Early 2013, 2.7 Quad, 16GB/512GB

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 6:37 AM

4 replies

Feb 6, 2014 3:37 AM in response to jfm429

Just a suggestion you might consider to try. I'm assuming you are using a GROUP (cluster) to submit....

In compressor.app V4.1 Preferences (+,) / make certain hat the following are all DISABLED (turned off | not activated:

1. My Computer/Allow other computers to process batches on my computer" = OFF
  2. Advanced/ Enable Additional compressor Instances" = UNTICKED

(just have a single instance until you get it all working- it reduces complexity and fault eliminations. add these as you do more work but for now just leave UNTICKED you have a singe instance of compressord)

3. Create a Group (cluster)
    • just for a SINGLE host (your main mac) .. dont add the other MACS (service nodes) so that the only node is "This computer"..
    • name it (over type the name) - "jfmcluster"
    • creates a cluster and will utilise the instances as yo add them later (step 2 above)
  4. MAke sure "Enable automatic FILE SHARING" is turned OFF (should be greyed out at this stage).

enable it when you get it all stable.

5. Create a job and make sure that the Job item has in the inspector.. (create a customised SETTING and..)
    • Video Tab / Multipass = TICKED and then
    • General Tab / Video = Allow Job segmenting
  6. Submit the job using the cluster "jfmcluster"

Monitor the job via console.app / ~/logs / Compressor .. servicecontroller/com.apple.compressor.stomp.transcoder and the service node (step 2) log.

See if you turn up any errors.

If you extend this "jfmcluster" to use TWO nodes (a service node) in STEP3 make sure all the SOURCE and TARGET folders are available to that or other nodes and accessible too. (see ACL's for the files).

Post your results for others to see.

Warwick

Hong Kong

Mar 16, 2015 4:51 PM in response to jfm429

"FAILED: Host [local machine] Source File /path/to/source.mov cannot be processed on more than one computer because file copy is not supported"

This message turned up for me because the source file's permissions were preventing it from being shared with other computers. Each slave machine has to be allowed access to the source file across your network. If the file's permissions don't allow "everyone" to have access then the OS won't allow it to be shared to the slave machines and the slaves can't do their work.

Go to each source file and open up full permission to everyone.

Compressor 4.1 fails on distributed encode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.