Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I compress for HD projection?

I need to deliver a movie to Alaska that will be projected in HD to "fairly large audiences." Sorry to be so vague, but the movie will travel to various venues and potentially be used on a variety of projectors. The movie was edited in FCPX 10.1 in 1920 x 1080p, 23.98p. I will be using Compressor 4.1 on an early 2013 MacBookPro Retina. Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 2.8 GHz i7, 16GB, FCPX 10.1

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 6:59 AM

4 replies

Jan 29, 2014 10:52 AM in response to Russ H

Hey Russ, thanks again for the quick response. Amazing. And the articlel you linked was very interesting.

But I think maybe I gave the wrong impression with my post. My not-for-profit "movies" are generally 15 to 35 minute documentaries that are played from a laptop through an HD projector. Not a professional theater. Often in churches or schools. (If you have 3.5 mins., here's a an example: Klawock Carving Shed Project.)

So delivering a .mov file will be sufficient. I just didn't know which compression settings would give the best quality AND also be delivered by UPS to the end user on something like a flash drive or a small laptop drive. This specific doc is 36 minutes long. I have exported a Master File from FCPX (ProRes 422). The file size is 30.02GB.

Since most of my stuff is viewed on the interweb, classic Vimeo 720p works fine.

How do I compress for HD projection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.