Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot import .mp4 files in iMovie HD

I have a file which was ripped from a DVD using HandBrake, that was converted to .mp4, which I cannot import into iMovie HD 6. It starts to import it...takes about 30 minutes to import a 20 minute video, and then at the last minute says "Error Importing".

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Thanks,
Ryan

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Aug 2, 2006 11:26 AM

11 replies

Aug 2, 2006 12:49 PM in response to RyanWAdams

sorry for being persistant, but:
how much free space is on your INTERNAL drive?

just MacOsX alone needs ~5GB for running smoothly, a video edit app..

depending on how you set up the project, iM tries to convert the mp4 internally into "dv"... and, as you probably know, dv is 13GB/h; your 20min could result in a 4GB temp-file… the temp-files in this process are located allways on the internal/start-up drive...

Aug 2, 2006 10:49 PM in response to RyanWAdams

.mov is just a container, some say "wrapper"… should be a "dv" file… or a mov with a dv inside, to be precise…

avi is a NoGo, that is a PC container, you never know what's inside (iM is no all-purpose editor, it is meant for miniDV)

ahhh! <bulb over head>
is your iM project located on ext. drive?
then you've reached the "famous" 19min barrier of wrong formatted drives!
launch Disk Utility from your Utility Folder
select ext. drive
look under format… my guess: FAT32… right?
should be "MacOsExtended/hfs(+)"…

ext. drives have to be formatted that way for video projects.... formatting erases all content on drive, make sure, you've backupped all content…

Sep 16, 2006 12:58 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Got to tell you a BIG THANKYOU for posting this fix !!!! 🙂

I have just bought my Mac Mini last week and been trying to use iMovie today and importing MPeg4 clips. It just would not do it, even though they played in Quick time.

Discovered your disk format fix this evening and I just cannot believe this has fixed the problem !!!!!! 🙂

This has got to be a major fundamental basic that MUST be communicated to anyone using iMovie - but where should it be posted ?

Thanks again

Cannot import .mp4 files in iMovie HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.