Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Genie effect slows down

Hi,

I have noticed that Genie effect (minimizing effect) starts to lag, and become slow, after I have run certain applications.

These applications include: Mozilla Thunderbird, Mozilla Firefox, and Skype.

I have noticed that while I stay away from these apps, my genie effect is smooth as it should be.

However, it seems that after I have run some of these apps for a while, Genie effect slows down. And it stays slow even if I quit the apps. Actually, it is not slow, but rather it LAGS, meaning like the framerate is not good, or it is NOT SMOOTH. So slow is not the correct word.

I can't fix this slowiness unless I restart, or go to activity monitor and Force Quit windowserver (which really restarts everything I was doing).

What could be causing this??

(btw, it's not only these three apps. If I recall correctly, there was some alarm clock app a I tried a while back that caused this as well)

Somone help me please.

And I promise you: I have many times formatted my computer from scratch, and reinstalled mac os x. This doesn't fix anything.

Regards,
D

20" Intel iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Aug 2, 2006 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2006 12:03 PM

Simple solution: turn it off. Use the Scale effect, it's much faster.
7 replies

Aug 3, 2006 11:27 AM in response to Dedekind

Have you tried logging out and logging back in? There's this process called windowserver that pretty much controls all the window graphics on the desktop. Logging out kills the process and logging back in restarts it.

I notice that things can slow down after awhile when staying logged in sometimes. Maybe there's something with those apps that slows down windowserver.

Genie effect slows down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.