Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Message for QuickTime

Every time I open QuickTime, it gives me an error message stating that "QuickTime Streaming failed to load because it was already loaded." and followed by "Some of your QuickTime software is out of date. You can fix this problem by updating to the latest version." to which I click "Do It Now". I've updated several times, it doesn't change the error. I've uninstalled QuickTime completely, reinstalled from the Apple page, and the error still happens. Oh, and it happens twice, every time.

Windows 7

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 9:44 PM

Every time I open QuickTime, it gives me an error message stating that "QuickTime Streaming failed to load because it was already loaded." and followed by "Some of your QuickTime software is out of date. You can fix this problem by updating to the latest version." to which I click "Do It Now". I've updated several times, it doesn't change the error.

We'd better check to see if some other application has stashed old versions of QuickTime componentry down in your system files. (That can produce the symptoms you're reporting.)

So we'll go looking for the older QuickTime componentry in the most common locations for it to be stashed.

First we'll need to change some view settings.

In your Start menu, open Computer.
In your Organise menu, select Folder Options.
In the View tab, make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is selected, and Hide extensions for known file types is unchecked.
Click OK.

Now in Computer, open your C:\ drive (or whichever drive you have your operating system installed on).
Open the "Windows" folder.
If you have a 32-bit version of Windows, open the "System32" folder.
If you have a 64-bit version of Windows, open the "SysWOW64" folder.

What files and folders can you see in there with QuickTime in the title? (In a standard installation of Quicktime you should be seeing precisely two files ... QuickTime.qts and QuickTimeVR.qtx ... and no QuickTime folders whatsoever.)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2014 9:44 PM in response to SpiderTaz

Every time I open QuickTime, it gives me an error message stating that "QuickTime Streaming failed to load because it was already loaded." and followed by "Some of your QuickTime software is out of date. You can fix this problem by updating to the latest version." to which I click "Do It Now". I've updated several times, it doesn't change the error.

We'd better check to see if some other application has stashed old versions of QuickTime componentry down in your system files. (That can produce the symptoms you're reporting.)

So we'll go looking for the older QuickTime componentry in the most common locations for it to be stashed.

First we'll need to change some view settings.

In your Start menu, open Computer.
In your Organise menu, select Folder Options.
In the View tab, make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is selected, and Hide extensions for known file types is unchecked.
Click OK.

Now in Computer, open your C:\ drive (or whichever drive you have your operating system installed on).
Open the "Windows" folder.
If you have a 32-bit version of Windows, open the "System32" folder.
If you have a 64-bit version of Windows, open the "SysWOW64" folder.

What files and folders can you see in there with QuickTime in the title? (In a standard installation of Quicktime you should be seeing precisely two files ... QuickTime.qts and QuickTimeVR.qtx ... and no QuickTime folders whatsoever.)

Error Message for QuickTime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.