Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hello, I have just updated to numbers 3.1, However now I cannot open some old files. can anyone help?

Hello, I have just upgraded to number 3.1 and now many of my files do not open, can anyone help?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 11:39 AM

Were you previously using Numebrs '08? If this is the case you will need to get Numbers '09 installed (sorry for this but it is the only way). You will then need to open each '08 filein Numbers '09, then save as a Numbers '09. Then you will be able to open Number 3.x.

Try visiting an Apple store to see if they will give you a copy of iWork '09. Also look on Amazon for a good deal

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2014 11:39 AM in response to holly11tom8

Were you previously using Numebrs '08? If this is the case you will need to get Numbers '09 installed (sorry for this but it is the only way). You will then need to open each '08 filein Numbers '09, then save as a Numbers '09. Then you will be able to open Number 3.x.

Try visiting an Apple store to see if they will give you a copy of iWork '09. Also look on Amazon for a good deal

Aug 28, 2015 11:32 AM in response to holly11tom8

I came to this thread when I encountered a similar problem when I transitioned this month to a MacBook Pro 2015, from Numbers ’08 with my 2008 MacBook. I was shocked to see an error message come up that said I had to save the file as a Numbers’09 file before trying to open it in Numbers 3.5.x

Before running out to the Apple store 40 miles away to beg or borrow Numbers ’09, I went back to my old computer with Numbers ’08 and exported the file as an Excel file. When I clicked to open the Excel file with Numbers 3.5.x it opened beautifully. There may be a few glitches, but at least I have all my data.

This doesn’t make sense to me that Numbers 3.5.x will open a rival program’s file, but not an older version of itself, but there it is…

If you’re having this problem, try this before having to go to the Apple store to buy or borrow Numbers ’09. Or having to buy it…

Hello, I have just updated to numbers 3.1, However now I cannot open some old files. can anyone help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.