Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

relinking new clips distorts image

Hello Final Cut Wizards!

I have a project that I'm working on for a client, and the previous editor did several things incorrectly which I am trying to fix. The timeline sequence settings didn't match the clip settings, and the footage was never converted from H.264 mov to Pro Res. I have converted all the footage to prores and made a new timeline sequence that matches the converted clips. My hope is to not have to rebuild the entire timeline from scratch. When I erase some of the old clips I can relink their corresponding new converted clips. HOWEVER, when I do this, either the aspect ratio of the new clip is messed up, (ie shows up smaller in the canvas and viewer, or with black bars on the top and bottom, and sometimes the video itself is flattened in its aspect ratio.) and it needs to be rendered constantly (just like when the original h.264 clips were in use).

Does anyone have any ideas on why this could be, or how I can still use the sequence project plan without rebuilding it?

Thanks!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 12:52 PM

3 replies

Jan 29, 2014 2:20 PM in response to alidocs1

alidocs1 wrote:

I have converted all the footage to prores . . .

When you did the conversion to ProRes, did you maintain the original frame size of the source material?

alidocs1 wrote:

. . . it needs to be rendered constantly (just like when the original h.264 clips were in use).

Is your timeline set for Unlimited RT playback?

User uploaded file

alidocs1 wrote:

. . . and made a new timeline sequence that matches the converted clips.

All of your source clips now have the same codec, frame rate and frame size?

And your timeline matches this common codec, frame size and frame rate?

Click anywhere on your timeline and then type Command + 0 {zero} to see your sequence settings. Report those settings or post a screen shot of those settings here.

Next, click on anyone of your source files in the FCP Browser. Once it is selected, type Command + 9 to see the item properties for the clip. Report those properties or post a screen shot of the properties here.

MtD

Jan 29, 2014 11:08 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Hi MtD,

Thanks for your attention and help!

The first editor had put the 1920x1080 h264 clips into a sequence set to 720x480.

The client has given me footage that is both 23.98 fps and 29.97 fps,all 1920X1080 h264. now that it's converted it's all apple pro res 1920x1080 (some in 23.98, some in 29.97). When I put one of the new converted clips into a new sequence, I clicked yes, make the sequence settings the same as the clip settings. User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

I am confused as to why it says HDTV 1080i becuase I'm fairly certain in mpeg stream clip I selected 1920 x 1080 16:9. Would the 1080i be causing problems?

Would the differing frame rates? It doesnt seem like these should affect the aspect ratio?

Here is a screen shot of a clip that I put into the project file on the new timeline with the new converted clip. It is smaller than the full canvas and also distorted in it's aspect ratio.

\User uploaded file

I'm confused (And sleepy!)

Thanks in advance for any further guidance!

Ali

Jan 30, 2014 9:10 AM in response to alidocs1

Create a new, empty sequence.

Edit or drag one of the 1920x1080 29.97 ProRes clips to the timeline. You will be prompted to match the source settings, say yes.

Delete the clip you just used on the timeline so the timeline is empty again.

Go to the 720 x 480 timeline, and click anywhere in it. Type Command + A to select all the clips, and then type Command + C to copy them.

Return to your new, empty sequence. Click anywhere in it. Type Command + V to paste all the clips.

Relink all the clips on the timeline of the new sequence to the 1920 x 1080 ProRes files.

Once you have relinked all the clips in the timeline to the ProRes versions, click anywhere on the timeline and then type Command + A to select all the clips.

Control click on any one of the selected clips, and from the drop down menu choose Remove Attributes. When the Remove Attributes pane opens, check the boxes for Basic Motion and Distort (if they are not grayed out) and then click OK.

You will need to verify that the 23.98 clips are correctly re-placed in the new edit. There may be some slippage.

MtD

relinking new clips distorts image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.