Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod Classic won't start, won't restore.

I have a 80gb Ipod Classic and 2 days ago all the songs were automatically and mysteriously erased after I ejected it from my pc(I did ejected using iTunes).

So my first thought was to try to just get all the songs back to the ipod by connecting it again and syncing it BUT iTunes wouldn’t recognize my ipod at tht point. The only thing iTunes would allow me to do was to restore. So I clicked Restore but a message appeared saying “The ipod couldn’t be restored. An unknown error occurred (1413)”

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I followed the instructions that Itunes provided when I clicked on ‘more info’ ( http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1372) but none of those steps worked.

I also found the link below but I got stuck on step 8 which is exactly the same problem: clicking restore will result w/ the 1413 error message.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3388488

Any ideas please on what I should do?

Thanks in advance.

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 2:27 PM

5 replies

Jan 31, 2014 10:00 AM in response to braden85

Hey braden85

Thanks for reply. But those instructions in that link didn’t work. I was hopeful that solution # 3 would work after I got a success message on step 7 however I still get the error 1413 when I try to restore my ipod. I think Apple doesn’t know how to fix this because I notice that every singe instructions they offer result with the same 1413 message.

Also I forgot to mention in my initial message that my ipod wouldn’t start up. All I get is a message saying ‘Use itunes to Restore’ I cant do anything else with my ipod. It will display that screen and turn itself off.

User uploaded file

Thanks again for trying

Mar 12, 2015 11:53 AM in response to MarceloMatiello

Had a similar problem, I am running windows. Resetting didn't work. So I put it in disk mode( center and play button immediately after reset). The computer recognized the IPod Classic 80G but ITunes couldn't restore. It would say it did, but IPod classic still not working.. So I closed ITunes after ejecting iPod, then I ejected IPod from computer. Then I unplugged from computer, Reset IPod and put back in disk mode, made sure ITunes not open and would not open if the IPod was plugged in. Plugged IPod back into computer, open the "computer" window and find the IPod and right click to get menu. The I ran format to reformat the hard drive (make sure to unclick "fast" or "quick" format you need to do a low level format, I reformatted 3 times with quick format and it didn't work) After format is complete, it may take a while, almost 1hr for me, eject ipod and unplug from computer and reset if necessary. Then open ITunes and plug in IPod after a bit ITunes should recognize and tell you that you need to restore it. Restore IPod and reinstall your music.

Ipod Classic won't start, won't restore.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.