Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility cannot repair Macintosh HD

Hey everyone,

My computer has been faulty for a while now, been running on Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.5.

I originally noticed the issue at hand when i tried to download maverick, but Macintosh HD was not a viable download location as it was already being used by Time Machine, I tried fiddling around with it but to no avail.

Eventually, I decided to verify if there was any problem with my HDD, and when I verified in Disk Utility, it said it needed repairing ("Disk Utility can't repair this disk...disk, and restore your backed up file"). It kept on telling me that the "volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired after 3 attempts"). Now I've just tried restarting my computer and I'm getting the notorious grey screen of death where I get the progress bar and a scroll, at the end of the bar, my MacBook Pro just switches off!

Luckily I have all my stuff backed up on a WD external HD, so my whole computer is backed up. Can anyone please resolve this for me? I have been through the step by step guides already available, but want to avoid erasing and re downloading if possible.

Thanks,

Felix.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 2:15 PM

Install or Reinstall Mavericks or Mountain Lion from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

OS X Mavericks- Erase and reinstall OS X

OS X Mountain Lion- Erase and reinstall OS X

OS X Lion- Erase and reinstall Mac OS X

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2014 2:15 PM in response to FSattin

Install or Reinstall Mavericks or Mountain Lion from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

OS X Mavericks- Erase and reinstall OS X

OS X Mountain Lion- Erase and reinstall OS X

OS X Lion- Erase and reinstall Mac OS X

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

Jan 29, 2014 5:49 PM in response to FSattin

Have you tried running Verify and Repair Disk from a Recovery HD assuming you can boot to it?

Restart into Internet Recovery (Command+Option+R) which boots to Apple's server and their Recovery HD. Don't restart into Recovery Mode (Command+R). This way you're not running Disk Utility from your internal drive but rather from Apple's server. If you still can't repair it, then I agree with John Galt and your disk may need to be replaced. You could also go to a local Apple Store and have their techs run diagnostics to validate replacement.

Jan 29, 2014 5:51 PM in response to keg55

Have you tried running Verify and Repair Disk from a Recovery HD assuming you can boot to it?

Restart into Internet Recovery (Command+Option+R) which boots to Apple's server and their Recovery HD. Don't restart into Recovery Mode (Command+R). This way you're not running Disk Utility from your internal drive but rather from Apple's server. If you still can't repair it, then I agree with John Galt and your disk may need to be replaced. You could also go to a local Apple Store and have their techs run diagnostics to validate replacement.

I had a 15" 2010 MBP's drive fail shortly after a year so it's very possible.

Apr 16, 2015 3:05 PM in response to FSattin

Ok im having a similar thing happen. I haven't turned in MacBook pro in months and after charging it then shuts down on me. I try to start back up and it's a gray screen with Apple logo and spinning circle and loading bar and then doesn't start just shuts off.

i Proceed to open disk utlitly and get the message error: the disk need to be repaired.

I click repair disk (has in red incorrect number of thread records & incorrect number of extended attributes should be 418994 of 418906. The volume Mac hd could not be repaired after 3 attempts. The message then says error disk utility can't repair this disk...disk, and restore your backed-up files. Does that mean my hard drive is done or something else? Thanks.

ive ive also tried to erase it says fail. I've tried to reinstall and says recovery is locked. What is causing this and how do I fix the problem. I hope this all makes sense.

Oct 26, 2016 6:37 AM in response to kiko sokatom

Try Disk Utility that is offered when you restart into Internet Recovery: simply hold Command+Option+R when your system boots (obviously, you need a working connection to the Internet). At least this did the trick with my system.

Provided, of course, that the hardware of the disk is still sound--if not, you must replace it. If you're willing (and able) to do that yourself (and the guarantee period has elapsed), you can consult ifixit.com on how to proceed for your particular model.

Disk Utility cannot repair Macintosh HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.