Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An iPod has been detected but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPod, then try again. If the problem persists, uninstall iTunes, then install iTunes again. NOTHING WORKS.

I've disconnected and reconnected. Tried other usb ports, tried changing the drive letter, formatted the ipod, uninstalled iTunes and Quicktime and reinstalled. I've tried connecting to other computers and it is recognized there.

I've gone through a gazillion threads on here about it and nothing has helped. I've got an iPod nano 7th gen and am using Windows 8.1. I am going absolutely bonkers and I would love to get some help.

iPod nano, Windows 8

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 3:37 PM

13 replies

Feb 3, 2014 5:08 PM in response to ifyoucouldpleasehelpme

Hi there - I've spoken with Apple and here is their response (worked for me). You need to uninstall not only iTunes, but also (in this order):

1) iTunes

2) Apple Software Update

3) Apple Mobile Device Support

4) Bonjour

5) Apple Application Support

Then you restart your computer.

Then you install the latest version of iTunes (which will reinstall all those things you uninstalled).

Then you restart your computer again.

Mine is working perfectly again now.

I hope it works for you,

Carmen.

Feb 3, 2014 7:33 PM in response to ifyoucouldpleasehelpme

Oh dear! What a shame it didn't work. I am running Windows 8.1 and have a nano 7th generation. Mine started when I uninstalled iTunes and downloaded the new one (must have conflicted with the remaining older versions of the other Apple softwares that I hadn't removed). I did what the Apple woman said, from scratch, and now have complete compatibility between nano, Windows and iTunes again! Yay!

An iPod has been detected but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPod, then try again. If the problem persists, uninstall iTunes, then install iTunes again. NOTHING WORKS.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.