Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to do when iTunes 11.1.4 reinstall loses registry settings to import/burn CDs?

After uninstalling five Apple programs and reinstalling iTunes 11.1.4 on my Windows 7 64-bit PC, iTunes now says the registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. ... Please reinstall iTunes. CD/DVD importing and burning has worked fine up until now. I've already uninstalled/reinstalled iTunes multiple times. Has this happened to anybody and have you tried changing the registry settings yourself as recommended at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3299? If so, did it work for you? I'm afraid to try it without assurance it will work. I generally consider messing with the registry to be far above my level of expertise! Thanks!

iPod classic, Windows 7, 64-bit

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 5:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 7:09 PM

Has this happened to anybody and have you tried changing the registry settings yourself as recommended at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3299? If so, did it work for you?

I'd start with the following document, with one modification. At step 12 after typing GEARAspiWDM press the Enter/Return key once prior to clicking OK. (Pressing Return adds a carriage return in the field and is important.)

iTunes for Windows: "Registry settings" warning when opening iTunes

For a testimonial, see the following topic:

Re: How do I fix registry settings used by itunes drivers for importing and burning CD's and DVD's are missing?

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2014 7:09 PM in response to BarbHev

Has this happened to anybody and have you tried changing the registry settings yourself as recommended at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3299? If so, did it work for you?

I'd start with the following document, with one modification. At step 12 after typing GEARAspiWDM press the Enter/Return key once prior to clicking OK. (Pressing Return adds a carriage return in the field and is important.)

iTunes for Windows: "Registry settings" warning when opening iTunes

For a testimonial, see the following topic:

Re: How do I fix registry settings used by itunes drivers for importing and burning CD's and DVD's are missing?

Jan 30, 2014 12:18 PM in response to b noir

Thanks so much for your response, b noir. BEFORE making the registry changes you suggested, I tried (a) importing from a music CD into iTunes and (b) burning a CD from iTunes. Despite the message about registry settings for importing and burning CDs and DVDs being missing, I was able to import music from a CD without difficulty. However, I could not burn to a CD. Instead, when I tried, it listed "No disc recording software found" for "Disc Burner" and put up a flashing message reading "Disc recording not found ... ."

So I made the registry change exactly as you suggested. (I had to add UpperFilters since that entry was missing. And I added the iTunes device filter as specified in the referenced article to the blank "Value data" box.) After restarting the computer, the "registry settings" error message no longer appeared--and I was still able to import music from a CD. HOWEVER, I am also still unable to burn a CD. Now when I try to do that, the "Disc Burner" is listed as "E: hp DVD A DH 16AAL," but iTunes puts up a flashing message reading "Disc burner or software not found."

I don't know if burning a DVD would work--but I want to be able to burn CDs. Before making these multiple attempts to upgrade to iTunes 11.1.4, I successfully used iTunes many times to burn CDs.

I'd appreciate any further suggestions you can provide to help me. Thanks!

Jan 30, 2014 12:26 PM in response to BarbHev

After restarting the computer, the "registry settings" error message no longer appeared--and I was still able to import music from a CD. HOWEVER, I am also still unable to burn a CD. Now when I try to do that, the "Disc Burner" is listed as "E: hp DVD A DH 16AAL," but iTunes puts up a flashing message reading "Disc burner or software not found."

This pattern (the registry settings message, which is then fixed, but after being fixed is followed by a "Disc Burner not found") suggests a conflict with some virtual drive software on the computer.

Could you post your diagnostics for us please?

In iTunes, go "Help > Run Diagnostics". (If you're running iTunes 11.0.x you'll need to bring up your menu bar first to see the Help menu.) Uncheck the boxes other than DVD/CD tests, as per the following screenshot:

User uploaded file

... and click "Next".

When you get through to the final screen click the "Copy to Clipboard" button and paste the diagnostics into a reply here. (Use your Ctrl-V keyboard shortcut to paste.)

Jan 30, 2014 6:24 PM in response to b noir

I ran the CD/DVD drive diagnostic test as you recommended, putting a music CD in the drive when prompted. But the diagnostic apparently couldn't "see" this CD--despite the fact that I am able to play--and even import--this CD's tracks with iTunes. Here are the results of running the diagnostic test:

Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Business Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

HP-Pavilion BN496AV-ABA HPE-170t

iTunes 11.1.4.62

QuickTime 7.7.4

FairPlay 2.5.16

Apple Application Support 3.0

iPod Updater Library 11.1f5

CD Driver 2.2.3.0

CD Driver DLL 2.1.3.1

Apple Mobile Device 7.1.0.32

Apple Mobile Device Driver 1.64.0.0

Bonjour 3.0.0.10 (333.10)

Gracenote SDK 1.9.6.502

Gracenote MusicID 1.9.6.115

Gracenote Submit 1.9.6.143

Gracenote DSP 1.9.6.45

iTunes Serial Number 0025B5680CFA8670

Current user is not an administrator.

The current local date and time is 2014-01-30 21:07:09.

iTunes is not running in safe mode.

WebKit accelerated compositing is enabled.

HDCP is not supported.

Core Media is supported.

Video Display Information

NVIDIA, NVIDIA GeForce G210

**** External Plug-ins Information ****

No external plug-ins installed.

Invalid LowerFilters registry value.

For more information, click Help.

iPodService 11.1.4.62 (x64) is currently running.

iTunesHelper 11.1.4.62 is currently running.

Apple Mobile Device service 3.3.0.0 is currently running.

**** CD/DVD Drive Tests ****

LowerFilters: Afc

UpperFilters: GEARAspiWDM (2.2.3.0),

Failed while scanning for CD / DVD drives, error 2510.

Virtual drives can sometimes interfere with reading and writing CDs in iTunes. If this is a virtual drive and you are having problems with other drives, try uninstalling the virtual CD application.

E: Unsupported CD or DVD drive.

Virtual drives can sometimes interfere with reading and writing CDs in iTunes. If this is a virtual drive and you are having problems with other drives, try uninstalling the virtual CD application.

Something else I can try? Thanks!

Jan 30, 2014 7:03 PM in response to b noir

I deleted only the "data" value (i.e., "Afc") for LowerFilters--not the whole LowerFilters item (wasn't sure which you wanted me to do). Anyway, unfortunately, after this change my DVD/CD drive (E) doesn't seem to work at all and Windows doesn't seem to recognize that it exists. I re-ran the iTunes diagnostics and it does seem as if the previously noted errors have been eliminated from the report. When running it, however, it wanted me to choose a drive for testing--but the dropdown box didn't offer me any choices (i.e., only choice was "Choose a drive"). Results of the diagnostics are below:

Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Business Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

HP-Pavilion BN496AV-ABA HPE-170t

iTunes 11.1.4.62

QuickTime 7.7.4

FairPlay 2.5.16

Apple Application Support 3.0

iPod Updater Library 11.1f5

CD Driver 2.2.3.0

CD Driver DLL 2.1.3.1

Apple Mobile Device 7.1.0.32

Apple Mobile Device Driver 1.64.0.0

Bonjour 3.0.0.10 (333.10)

Gracenote SDK 1.9.6.502

Gracenote MusicID 1.9.6.115

Gracenote Submit 1.9.6.143

Gracenote DSP 1.9.6.45

iTunes Serial Number 00DDB6680BF770D8

Current user is not an administrator.

The current local date and time is 2014-01-30 21:41:55.

iTunes is not running in safe mode.

WebKit accelerated compositing is enabled.

HDCP is not supported.

Core Media is supported.

Video Display Information

NVIDIA, NVIDIA GeForce G210

**** External Plug-ins Information ****

No external plug-ins installed.

iPodService 11.1.4.62 (x64) is currently running.

iTunesHelper 11.1.4.62 is currently running.

Apple Mobile Device service 3.3.0.0 is currently running.

Sorry--still need more help.

Jan 30, 2014 8:04 PM in response to BarbHev

I deleted only the "data" value (i.e., "Afc") for LowerFilters--not the whole LowerFilters item (wasn't sure which you wanted me to do). Anyway, unfortunately, after this change my DVD/CD drive (E) doesn't seem to work at all and Windows doesn't seem to recognize that it exists.

Drat. Go back into the UpperFilters entry, and remove the GEARAspiWDM value.

Reboot the PC ... are you seeing your drive again?

(This will probably give us back the Registry settings message in iTunes, but getting the drive back is the higher priority at the moment.)

Jan 30, 2014 10:35 PM in response to b noir

I got panicky about losing the drive and ignored e-mail for the last several hours while working on my own (with husband's help)--so I didn't ever try your last suggestion. However, in the meantime, I did get my drive back--and iTunes now works!

I used the registry backup file I had made to "merge" the original registry settings (before both the UpperFilters and LowerFilters changes)--but that didn't bring the drive back. Windows "device manager" showed a yellow triangle with an exclamation point next to the device labeled "PC." I right-clicked on that device (PC) and selected "Troubleshoot." The troubleshooting program tried, but failed, to restore the driver for the DVD/CD drive. So I Googled something like "driver for hp DVD A DH16AAL" (apparently my CD/DVD drive's name) and clicked around some of the choices until I found Microsoft's "Fix-It," a free software tool. I used Fix-It, telling it that I do not have a removable drive. I didn't document all the steps I took within Fix-It, but finally Fix-It told me it had tried to restore the driver and instructed me to shut down the computer. That brought the drive back.

At that point, when I took a peek at the registry entries we've been discussing here, I noticed that UpperFilters and LowerFilters were gone. So after making a new Regedit backup file, I tried adding back the UpperFilters entry. But that trashed my DVD/CD drive again!

At that point, I "merged" the most recent Regedit backup file, but that didn't fix my missing CD drive. So I went back to Fix-It and used it again until I got the message about shutting down the computer. After shutting down and booting back up, I had a working CD drive again--but iTunes gave the "registry settings" error message again and had the same problem as before (wouldn't burn music CDs).

Then I decided to re-run iTunes diagnostics. At the bottom of the resulting report, I noted a suggestion to use the Windows Add/Remove Programs to repair iTunes. So I did that, then shut down the computer again. When I booted it back up, everything seemed to be fixed! My CD drive now reads data CDs and plays music CDs via iTunes. And I successfully burned a CD using iTunes.

So all seems to be well now--but this has been a very time-consuming and nerve-wracking experience from this user's perspective. I'm saving all this correspondence but very much hoping that I never need to do any of this again!

Putting my computer to sleep now and going to bed myself. Thanks so much for your help in getting me started toward a solution.

Feb 9, 2014 12:35 AM in response to BarbHev

BarbHev,

I admire your patience. I'm having similar problems and I think I'll ty Fix-It too.

Can you remember if you ran Fix-it with 11.1.4 iTunes installed, or did you uninstall all Apple stuff first?

I understand the issues with remembering the sequence of events!

I remain annoyed with Apple though, because, like you, everything was working perfectly until I tried to update iTunes. It seems wrong that an Apple provoked problem can only be fixed with a Microsoft program.

And what on earth do Apple think they're doing with their alleged "fixes", getting customers to mess with their registries? It shouldn't be so hard, surely. Like "see update, download update, enjoy benefits of updated software!"

Not "see update, download update, then be taken to places in your computer you've never heard of, and still your PC won't work properly in conjunction with your iTunes."

Cheers

Frustrated of Stirling.

Feb 9, 2014 10:01 AM in response to cpalace

Hi cpalace,

Because I'm in my late 60s, remembering a lengthy sequence from several days ago is even more of a problem than you possibly can imagine (LOL)! I 'think' that iTunes 11.1.4, installed after uninstalling all Apple stuff, was on my PC when I realized I had lost my DVD/CD drive and then used the regedit backup file I had made earlier, followed by Microsoft Fix-It, to get the DVD/CD drive back.

BUT before you try to repeat my steps, you need to know that I later discovered that iTunes 11.1.4 won't sync my iPod Classic, the only Apple device I own! I have started a different “discussion” on this forum about that, but have so far have received no replies. (If that issue is relevant to your situation, I think you can find the discussion by searching the site for my user name.) Meanwhile, I tried some more things listed in a document written by 'Turingtest2' (which I think you may find helpful) that you can find here:

See Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

But I still don't have a solution to my syncing issue so far. I may check one or two more things, but if they don't work I'm probably going to just uninstall iTunes 11.4.1 (and all the other Apple stuff) and see if I can successfully install iTunes 11.1.3 from OldApps.com as described in the second paragraph of the “Further Information” subsection of the above-referenced document. Good luck!

Feb 11, 2014 9:56 PM in response to BarbHev

Hi Barb,

Like you, I'm learning more as I increase in years, so I should be a rocket scientist by now. Sadly ...

I've managed to get some sort of fix going, but it took forever, and seemed to demand much repetition of the same action. Indeed, in the words of turingtest2, " Some users may need to go through the above process more than once before it is successful." Bizarre. It's a computer. How is that possible?

Anyway, I went back to a restore point on my PC - I think it was before I messed with the registry settings as per previous Apple advice. I uninstalled iTunes for the umpteenth time (this time Mobile Support uninstalled first time), and then re-installed it.

Lo and behold, everything seemed to be back to normal. iTunes opened properly. All actions seemed normal, like synching, and burning of playlists.

And then I double clicked on my DVD drive in My Computer - to receive a message saying the drive couldn't be accessed, possibly because I didn't have to right access. Pardon? I then rght-clicked and clicked Open, and there it was! I always thought duble-click was the same action as right-click and open, but then again, what do I know.

So there it is. After lots of time, effort and not inconsiderable invective (all directed at Apple, by the way), I finally have got 99.5% of what I want. I've been to places in my computer that I didn't know existed.

It shouldn't be this hard, should it?

Until the next time.

What to do when iTunes 11.1.4 reinstall loses registry settings to import/burn CDs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.