Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mini DisplayPort adapter only works for a few minutes

Hi everyone!

I have the latest Mac Mini (2012) and I have it connected to a samsung monitor via HDMI. I would also like to use my Dell 1707FP monitor as a second screen. Here is my problem. I connect the dell monitor via a Rocketfish mini displayport to DVI adapter and a generic DVI cable and it works, but only for about 10-15 minutes. Then the monitor begins to flicker in and out for a few minutes then goes dark and the Dell monitor displays "Can't display this resolution" I've tried unpluging the cable and adapter and reconnecting them, power cycling the monitor, switching between input sources. I don't think the adapter or cable is bad because it works perfectly for a while and the monitor works on VGA with my Windows desktop. Any thoughts? I'm out of ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Dell 1707FP Monitor-DVI connection

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 5:43 PM

6 replies

Jan 30, 2014 8:36 AM in response to jojo1595

jojo1595 wrote:

Okay, I tried it using the same cable with the HDMI to DVI adapter that came with the mini, and it's doing the same thing. So it looks like it's my cable. Is it also possible that just my DVI port on the Dell monitor is failing while the vga port is still good?

It could be the cable or the Dell's port, I had a similar issue with a HP display. The DVI connection failed on the display but the VGA worked fine, so after using different cables I was back in business.

Mini DisplayPort adapter only works for a few minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.