Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

thunderbolt vs minidisplay port

I am trying to get my mac pro late 2013 to work with Dell's P2815Q monitor.

What is the diffference between thunderbolt and minidisplay port?

I have a dell monitor that has hdmi, displayport and mini display port sockets.

On my HP laptop that has an displayport socket. The monitor came with an cable from displayport to minidisplay port. That lets the monitor work just fine. So I know the mini displayport works on the monitor.

Now, to get the mac to work.

If I use an displayport to minidisplay port and an apple thunderbolt cable, it does NOT work! Is the thunderbolt cable not the same as an minidisplay port cable?''

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 5:31 PM

11 replies

Feb 3, 2014 8:50 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

A Thunderbolt cable is not "just wires". Some use fiber optics and have no wires at all.

Each Thunderbolt plug contains circuits to match its particular cable type and length.

A Mini DisplayPort display or adapter will work with a Thunderbolt port (except than on the back of a Thunderbolt display) but a Thunderbolt plug will not work in a Mini DisplayPort (although it will fit).

Jan 29, 2014 6:19 PM in response to TomInIowa

If I use an displayport to minidisplay port and an apple thunderbolt cable, it does NOT work!

Then something else is wrong. That cable is "just wires", has no conversion, and works going either direction. It should plug directly into a ThunderBolt port, provided you push hard enough so that essentially ALL of the metal cable-end is inside the jack.

Try sleeping and waking your Mac to see if it Detects the Display on wake-up.

Make certain the Display is set to the correct port -- it needs to respond on the correct port when the Mac asks, "who are you, and what are your capabilities?"

Feb 3, 2014 11:27 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Today I received an thunderbot/minidisplayport adapter to displayport (full size). Plugged the adapter into my mac and connect the displayport to minidisplayport cable that came with the Dell P2815Q monitor, and the monitor works just fine!!!!!

mac | thunderbolt to displayport | displayport to mini displayport cable | Dell P2815Q monitor

works just fine.

Thunderbolt cable from mac to monitor does NOT work!!!

Feb 4, 2014 8:01 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Malcolm J. Rayfield wrote:

A Thunderbolt cable is not "just wires". Some use fiber optics and have no wires at all.

Each Thunderbolt plug contains circuits to match its particular cable type and length.

A Mini DisplayPort display or adapter will work with a Thunderbolt port (except than on the back of a Thunderbolt display) but a Thunderbolt plug will not work in a Mini DisplayPort (although it will fit).

A good synopsis. While almost all 2 meter and shorter Tbolt cables aren't optical, longer versions are starting to hit the market and they are.

The reason that Thunderbolt connectors get hot is the chips processing the data in the connector. Also why they don't cost $6 like a USB cable.

A portion of a Thunderbolt connection is Mini Display Port. Adapters to DVI, to MiniDisplay Port or other display connections are not Thunderbolt but only use the Mini Display Port portion of that connection. No Thunderbolt data transfer occurs over that connection, only display.

Rick

Feb 4, 2014 10:15 AM in response to TomInIowa

[What is the diffference between thunderbolt and minidisplay port?]

As has already been written: thunderbolt transmits the image (like minidisplay port) and a lot of data on top of that.

You should be able to connect your display to the thunderbolt port without problems as it is backwards compatible. Just make sure to use a minidisplay port cable for thar. A thunderbolt cable is active (the plugs contain amplifiers) and will only work between thunderbolt devices.

Jul 14, 2014 6:57 AM in response to TomInIowa

i have a macbook air with a thunderbolt port. i need to connect my macbook air to an HDMI port on a TV.

clearly i am not the most intelligent human on earth, but i want to buy a thunderbolt to HDMI cable, and all i get in search results, the store on apple.com, amazon etc is "miniport display to HMDI adapter". so i am assuming that i can plug the miniport connector into my firewire port and the HDMI connector to my TV and it will work?

why no one sells a "thunderbolt to HDMI cable" is beyond me....

Jul 14, 2014 8:04 AM in response to orence1966

ThunderBolt and Mini DisplayPort use the same connector.

Mini DisplayPort cables pick up ONLY the display subset of the Display AND Data capabilities of a ThunderBolt port, and uses these signals to drive a display.

A ThunderBolt cable is FAR more expensive, and will only drive a few Apple ThunderBolt displays directly, and will refuse to work with anything else.

Some Vendors sell hundreds of different cables, and have no idea of this subtle difference in cables, and label their cables in a completely haphazard manner. It is up too you as the Buyer to understand well enough to figure out what they Meant to say.

thunderbolt vs minidisplay port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.