Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suggestions for Graphics processing Mac

Hi all,

I have an Xserve - early 2009 2 x 2.66GHz Quad Core with 24 Gb ram - which is used for workflow automation using software called Switch from Enfocus. The box watches "Hot folders" on numerous mac and pc servers and performs many tasks including Photoshop actions to automate repetitive functions that operators used to do. There's also PDF checking and manipulation software from Callas (pdfToolbox Server) and colour manipulation software from Claro (Premedia Server).

Weve been having some crashing lately without notice and its been established that there's a problem with one of the CPU's - but it's been a great machine !

My dilemma is a replacement and I have 2 to choose from a MacMini

• 2.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
  • 2X256GB Solid State Drive
  • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x8GB

Or a MacPro

• 3.7GHz quad-core with 10MB of L3 cache
  • 32GB (4x8GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
  • 512GB PCIe-based flash storage
  • Dual AMD FirePro D300 GPUs with 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

Issue is ... the MacPro is more than twice the price of the MacMini but Im not sure the MM will have enough grunt ...

My supplier has said a fully blown MM will do the trick, I just dont know if it will ...

Regards

Mitch

Xserve, OS X Server

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 8:36 PM

A Mini with a quad-core i7 processor is capable of outperforming your Mac Pro, although not by much. It is capable of doing the work of your Mac Pro with the exception of the GPU. The Mini uses an integrated GPU which is not nearly as fast as the ones in a new Mac Pro. But then the Mini will not come close to outperforming a new Mac Pro which should benchmark nearly twice as fast as the Mini.

Now, possibly another machine to look into might be a fully blown iMac which is even faster than the Mini since it comes with a faster i7 CPU.

Just some things to think about.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2014 8:36 PM in response to Mitch

A Mini with a quad-core i7 processor is capable of outperforming your Mac Pro, although not by much. It is capable of doing the work of your Mac Pro with the exception of the GPU. The Mini uses an integrated GPU which is not nearly as fast as the ones in a new Mac Pro. But then the Mini will not come close to outperforming a new Mac Pro which should benchmark nearly twice as fast as the Mini.

Now, possibly another machine to look into might be a fully blown iMac which is even faster than the Mini since it comes with a faster i7 CPU.

Jan 30, 2014 6:35 AM in response to Mitch

You could try finding someone with a secondhand video card for the XServe but the parts situation is only going to get worse.

A new Mac mini would be comparible in performance to your Xserve except internal hard disks (use external Thunderbolt storage or internal SSD), and of course the video chip in the Mac mini. There are rumours that a revised Mac mini is due out soon with an improved video chip.

A new Mac Pro would of course be an astronomical leap forward in performance but at this point there are no rackmount kits for them.

Another issue to consider is whether all your software will work under Mavericks. The new Mac Pro will only run with Mavericks while the current Mac mini can run with Mountain Lion (or Mavericks). The next Mac mini will also likely only run under Mavericks.

Jan 30, 2014 7:51 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy, I do not believe your statement that "A Mini with a quad-core i7 processor is capable of outperforming your Mac Pro, " The OP is taking about the new MacPro.

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/

Kappy wrote:

Suggestions for Graphics processing Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.