Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My OSx system froze while backing up and since then The keyboard won't operate and I have a password and so can't access the OS now can anyone help.

My computer froze during a back up and since then I cannot access system because the keyboard doesn't work at all and the computer is password protected. Can anyone help please?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 3:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 7:11 AM

You may need a wired keyboard to carry out some of these steps. It's a good idea to keep a cheap wired keyboard and mouse or trackball as backups for a desktop Mac anyway, because Bluetooth isn't completely reliable.

Step 1

Follow the instructions inthese support articles:

How to set up your Apple Wireless Keyboard

Apple Wireless Keyboard: Difficulty during pairing process

Bluetooth devices become unresponsive

Step 2

The keyboard should pair automatically when you reboot. You may have to press and hold the power button on the right side of an Apple keyboard until the LED starts flashing.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller.

Step 4

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Reboot.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combinationcommand-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Step 5

See these support articles:

Bluetooth keyboard may not pair during Setup Assistant

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth: Potential sources of wireless interference

Bluetooth: Unreliable wireless performance may occur when USB 3.0 external devices are close

Step 6

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2014 7:11 AM in response to Dosyb

You may need a wired keyboard to carry out some of these steps. It's a good idea to keep a cheap wired keyboard and mouse or trackball as backups for a desktop Mac anyway, because Bluetooth isn't completely reliable.

Step 1

Follow the instructions inthese support articles:

How to set up your Apple Wireless Keyboard

Apple Wireless Keyboard: Difficulty during pairing process

Bluetooth devices become unresponsive

Step 2

The keyboard should pair automatically when you reboot. You may have to press and hold the power button on the right side of an Apple keyboard until the LED starts flashing.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller.

Step 4

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Reboot.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combinationcommand-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Step 5

See these support articles:

Bluetooth keyboard may not pair during Setup Assistant

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth: Potential sources of wireless interference

Bluetooth: Unreliable wireless performance may occur when USB 3.0 external devices are close

Step 6

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

My OSx system froze while backing up and since then The keyboard won't operate and I have a password and so can't access the OS now can anyone help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.