Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes library cannot locate files on new computer

I've attempted to transfer my itunes library from one computer to another; however, when I click on the music, I get an error message: "the file for the song cannot be used because the original file cannot be found". I attempted to import the library using Homesharing initally, then attempted to transfer it via an external harddrive. When the computer is connected to the external harddrive, the music will play.

Windows 7

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 5:42 AM

5 replies

Jan 30, 2014 5:52 AM in response to cinthyafromgrapevine

I would suggest that you havent actually copied the music files over, this can happen if you store your music files in a folder other than the itunes default in my music. I find it is good practice to select the "Copy files to itunes media folder" in the advanced options, that way you know where all your media files are. I believe if this is not ticked and you add media to itunes it simply creates a link to the existing file location. Hopefully you will still have the old computer handy to locate your media files. If you right click one of the tracks it cannot find and look at summary on the "get Info" area you should see the path at the bottom where it thinks the track should be. This may give you a starting point to find your media on your original pc.

It sounds like the music is stored on your external hard drive, select the option I suggested and re-import your music, this should sort it.

Hope this helps

Jan 30, 2014 7:08 AM in response to willydoit

I do have the old computer. I changed the itunes library file location on the new computer to what the default s/b according to Apple (username\My Music\itunes), then I checked the boxes you suggested and closed Preferences. It looked like the library updated, but when I clicked on the songs, they still weren't there. I closed and attempted to re-open itunes, then it said it couldn't find the itunes file. So I opened itunes up in this crazy location (c:\users\username\My Music\itunes\itunes library). Ugh! What have I done? I think I've made it madder b/c I've deleted and reloaded itunes twice, hoping to fix the problem. I promise I'm not an idiot, but it's starting to feel like that. 🙂

Oh! and the music files in Get Info are still located on my external harddrive.

Jan 30, 2014 7:36 AM in response to cinthyafromgrapevine

I know how infuriating it can get and how you start to doubt your own sanity. The best thing is to go back to basics.

1) Locate your actual music files.

If you look on your new computer, by default your music should be stored in my music\itunes\itunes media\ if you cannot see folders in there which contain your music it is fair to assume the media isnt on your computer. I tend to suspect that the music is on your external hard drive which is why it plays when you have that plugged in.

If you find the music on your hard drive I would go into preferences in itunes and tick the option in advanced that I mentioned previously, then, in itunes go to file and "add folder to library". If you cannot see the menu bar which contains "file - edit - view - controls - store - help" you may need to press ctrl B to show it, alternatively if you click on the little box in the top left corner of the itunes screen and drop the menu and select "show menu bar"

So now when you press the add folder to library simply browse to where your actual music files are, find the folder which has all you r music etc in it and then click "select folder" in the bottom right of the window.

If you have done all that correctly and have ticked the "Copy media to itunes folder when adding library" option in "edit / preferences / advanced" your music should be copied from your external hard drive into the itunes folder and all should then work properly.

Fingers crossed lets hope thiat works for you.

Just a thought - if that creates duplicate entries in itunes then I would select all your music in itunes and delete it, then go through the above again so you only have the one set of music.

Steve

Jan 31, 2014 12:00 AM in response to cinthyafromgrapevine

Glad to help,

You wont have a problem so long as you keep your backup copy of the media on your removable hard drive, alternatively, depending upon how many files you have , you could just click on a song, if it plays leave it, if it doesnt then delete it, eventually you will clear out all the incorrectly linked ones. Remember to disconnect your external drive when using this method otherwise all the links will work.

Have fun.

Steve

itunes library cannot locate files on new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.