Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

24 cinema display macbok pro retina will not boot unless usb is disconnected

I have a new 15" rMBP (macbookpro retina) along with a 24" LED cinema display from a few years ago running bootcamp 5 and Windows 7 x64. I setup bootcamp I got windows 7 working with no noticable issues. However when I try to restart the laptop with the usb for the display connected the system will hang on the gray startup screen (first screen after pressing power button). I can get the sytem to boot into Mavericks if I remember to press and hold the alt/option key and pick Mavericks from the luist of oeprating systems, but the default is Win7 and that will bnot boot unless I have the usb for the monitor disconnected. Is there an update (software or firmware) that could address this issue, and are toehrs out there dealing with the same problem? I have searched quite a bit for this particular issue, and I have not run across any others reporting it or any solutions that could be tried that haven't already tried with no success. The only way to get Windows 7 to boot is to disconnect the usb cable that runs to the display.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Windows 7

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 8:42 AM

1 reply

May 9, 2014 9:24 PM in response to denyart

Got this fixed thanks to Steffan and Brian from Apple support. Not sure if it was resetting the SMC or NVRAM that worked, but I would guess it was the NVRAM. Here were the instructions i followed the resolved the issue:

For resetting the NVRAM, we would just want to go through these few steps.
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (
), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.
Resetting the NVRAM usually resets settings such as Speaker Volume, Screen Resolution, Startup Disk selections, Time Zone information, and a few other settings.
SMC
For resetting the SMC, what we want to do is:
1.Shut down the computer.
2.Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3.On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Alt keys and the power button at the same time.
4.Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.
Note that in step 4, the Mac should not power on! If it does, one of the keys was released early or late - shut down, and try it again

24 cinema display macbok pro retina will not boot unless usb is disconnected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.