Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro retina dead/stuck pixel

Hi this morning I turnd on my mac. And when watching a video, that had a dark background I noticed a white dot on the screen. I tried to clean it but it did not move. I did a bit of research and have come to think this is a dead or stuck Pixel. It shows on dark backgrounds, and shows up as a little dark dot on white background. If you look at it for a magnifying glass you can see the colours within the pixels. Is it stuck? I've seen some videos online that apparently fix dead pixels. and programs that is JFixit. Do these work? My one year warranty has just run out so if I have to go to apple, I will have to get AppleCare. how much is this cost for my mbpr if I have o get it.

Any helped be appreciated. This appears to be a common problem on MacBook Pro Ratners. So some more publicity about it would be good. Any help would be appreciated thank you very much.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 8:52 AM

Hey.. I had the same problem with my Macbook pro Retina 15. On discovering the same spot on my screen, i rushed to the apple store from where i bought this macbook. They seeing my problem immediately took my macbook for LCD replacement and asked me come after 15 working days> But after 2-3 days they gave me a call that this cannot be replaced since they are not getting permission and the required part from the apple. So i called on the apple customer care and registered my complained. Firstly they even said that this is the first time they are ecountering such problem n asked me to keep my mac with me n observe whether this SPOT increases in future or not, and only if it did, they will replace it. I strongly opposed this coz i have spent 150K for my machine and therefore i will except no less than a new machine.

After hours of discussions with the head of the techinical team and the US team, and after 7 days approx, they decided to give my machine green signal for LCD replacement, and also asked the service centre to get it done ASAP and also supplied the req. part.

n today, my machine is working perfectly fine and has no probs with the display.

I would suggest you to take same and immediate action abt this and donnot except anything less that a perfectly working machine.

All the Best !! (y)

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2014 8:52 AM in response to varian6930

Hey.. I had the same problem with my Macbook pro Retina 15. On discovering the same spot on my screen, i rushed to the apple store from where i bought this macbook. They seeing my problem immediately took my macbook for LCD replacement and asked me come after 15 working days> But after 2-3 days they gave me a call that this cannot be replaced since they are not getting permission and the required part from the apple. So i called on the apple customer care and registered my complained. Firstly they even said that this is the first time they are ecountering such problem n asked me to keep my mac with me n observe whether this SPOT increases in future or not, and only if it did, they will replace it. I strongly opposed this coz i have spent 150K for my machine and therefore i will except no less than a new machine.

After hours of discussions with the head of the techinical team and the US team, and after 7 days approx, they decided to give my machine green signal for LCD replacement, and also asked the service centre to get it done ASAP and also supplied the req. part.

n today, my machine is working perfectly fine and has no probs with the display.

I would suggest you to take same and immediate action abt this and donnot except anything less that a perfectly working machine.

All the Best !! (y)

Jan 30, 2014 8:55 AM in response to varian6930

varian6930 wrote:

I've seen some videos online that apparently fix dead pixels. and programs that is JFixit. Do these work?

These programs do not seem to work- optimistic yes, results no.

Your best bet is take in in. Sometimes just out of warranty will be taken care off. YMMV.

Genius reservation http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

on-line https://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action

check warranty https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Jan 31, 2014 10:33 AM in response to varian6930

varian6930 wrote:

My one year warranty has just run out so if I have to go to apple, I will have to get AppleCare. how much is this cost for my mbpr if I have o get it.

One thing I can tell you is you can NOT buy apple care extended warranty after the original 1-yr warranty has expired. Period.

If your original warranty just ran out, I would ASAP get a hold of Apple. Sometimes they will take care of you as a courtesy . YMMV.

The longer you wait, you lose that as a possibility.

MacBook Pro retina dead/stuck pixel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.