Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot figure out how to get Account categories to add up

I probably laid out my 2013 expenditures poorly and I will do it differently with the new Numbers in 2014, however, I have a list of my expenditures one after the other by month and labelled as to whether it's gas, mortgage, etc. So right now my categories and chart show nothing other than my category listings and I do not know how to get Numbers to add each category up. Can someone advise me how to get for instance all my Gas expenditures from 12 months labeled as "Gas" to add up in the Account Categories as a total? Thanks.

imac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Have two imacs

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 9:04 AM

17 replies

Jan 30, 2014 9:46 AM in response to SilverBear

Silver,

I would add a second table for use as a summary table like this:

User uploaded file

The summary table is on the right and the data entry table on th left (titled "InputData"):

In the Summary table use categroy names that are the same (exactly) as those in the InputData table category Column.

B2=SUMIF(InputData::C,A2,InputData::B)

this is shorthand for in cell B2 type (or copy and paste from here) the formula:

"=SUMIF(InputData::C,A2,InputData::B)" without the double quotes

select B2 then fill down as needed

Jan 31, 2014 10:15 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Wayne, obviously there's something I'm doing wrong. For the purposes of your diagram I named my transactions "Input Data" and that second table "Summary." I copied what you said into B2 but do not understand how it knows to be connected to my Input Data. I did highlight my Category and Amount columns, but all I get is this exclamation point in a triangle. See my screen capture. What am I not doing? Thanks.

User uploaded file

Feb 5, 2014 8:09 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Wayne, be Mickey Mouse easy with me. I have two tables as I've shown you above. I changed the titles to InputData and Summary respectively. Where are you pasting the formula to have one table recognize the other? If I paste the formula you said to copy in the Summary table (at the bottom...selecting all cells of the categories in the Amount table to indicate I want them added) what am I pasting in the Inputdata table and where? Confused obviously. Thanks.

Feb 6, 2014 3:29 PM in response to SilverBear

Hi SilverBear,

One of the great things about a Mac is how much you can get done by pointing and clicking. I think Wayne has your answer if you are just looking for your yearly totals for each catagory. It is just getting the formula in your table that is the issue. Everything is going to happen in the summary table. So lets point and click. This method should eliminate any need to worry about table names, etc..

Click in the B2 in the Summary Table, type "=" (no quotes). This brings up the function browser. You can find SUMIF there or just type it in after the =. If you typed it you need to hit return. You will see:User uploaded file

click "test values" if it is not darkened. then click column "E" in your INPUTDATA table. This chooses all of your "catagory" column as the place to look for matches.

click "condition" then click A2 in your Summary table. This says look for this in column E of INPUTDATA.

click "sum values" then click column "F" in INPUTDATA table.

Click the green check.

Grab the yellow dot and drag it to the bottom of your table.

So this formula says look in the "amount"column in INPUTDATA table for the value in the "catagory" column in the Summary table. when you find it add the value in the amount column.

The summary table tells you what you want to know ie how much you spent on each catagory during the year. It does not give you a running balance. We are not reporting back to the INPUTDATA table.

Hope this helps,

Quinn

Cannot figure out how to get Account categories to add up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.