Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 will not restore

I appreciate that this is a very old story. But a very frustrating one for all that.

I have just rebuilt an iPhone 4, bought on ebay. When I try to restore it, iTunes gets as far as "waiting for iPhone",when the phones screen flashes and it shuts down.And I get error 2001. No matter what I try, and I have tried everything that I know, I cannot get the phone any further than this in the restore process.

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 9:52 AM

3 replies

Jan 30, 2014 9:54 AM in response to brimar

Check USB connections

If there’s an issue with the USB port, cable, dock, or hub, or if the device becomes disconnected during restore, try troubleshooting the USB connection, then troubleshooting your security software.

Common errors: 13, 14, 1600-1629, 1643-1650, 2000-2009, 4000, 4005, 4013, 4014, 4016, “invalid response”, and being prompted to restore again after a restore completes.

To narrow down the issue, you can also change up your hardware:

• Use another USB cable.
  • Plug your cable into a different USB port on your computer.
  • Try a different dock connector (or no dock).
  • Add (or remove) a USB hub between your device and computer.
  • Connect your computer directly to your Internet source, with no routers, hubs, or switches.

If you see your error after changing your USB connections, continue to the next section to troubleshoot your hardware.

Resolve specific iTunes update and restore errors - Support - Apple

iPhone 4 will not restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.