Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I do this with Replicators in Motion and if not what would be the best way?

I am trying to create the following:

I have png file of two Greek columns, one on the right and one on the left. I want to create an animation that has endless rows behind the columns on either side so it looks like we are walking between them, I figured I can do the animation part using the camera.

Now THAT much I can do. This is the part that is difficult and I can't figure out yet:

I want there to be different items on top of the Greek columns so that in the first two Greek columns we have object A on top of the left and Object B on top of the right. The Next two Greek columns behind would alternate so that Object B is on top of the left and Object A on the right. This pattern would continue like a checkerboard back and forth as the rows fan out into the distance.

So is this possible to do with the replicators? I guess it requires adjusting the individual copies and I'm not sure if that is possible.

If that is not doable through these means can anyone suggest the best way to achieve this?

If my description is hard to follow please let me know. I could do a crude animation that should give a better idea of what I'm going for here.

Muchos Gracias to anyone and everyone that can help.

Motion 5, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 12:56 PM

Heya!

Try creating replicatorA with Greek columns that have object A on top. Spread out the columns so there's room for the other colums with object B to fit in between. Then create a second replicatorB with Greek columns that have object B on top. Place replicatorB so that the items are situated between the spaced-out columns that were created in replicatorA. That should give you one row of alternating columns. To create the second row simply duplicate the replicators and offset the position.

You might also be able to use a particle emitter with an image sequence of Greek column with object A and Greek column with object B to acheive the effect.

Hope that helps!

Jasper Thayer

Apple Certified Trainer

https://FinalCutProX.net

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2014 12:56 PM in response to Vadimcream

Heya!

Try creating replicatorA with Greek columns that have object A on top. Spread out the columns so there's room for the other colums with object B to fit in between. Then create a second replicatorB with Greek columns that have object B on top. Place replicatorB so that the items are situated between the spaced-out columns that were created in replicatorA. That should give you one row of alternating columns. To create the second row simply duplicate the replicators and offset the position.

You might also be able to use a particle emitter with an image sequence of Greek column with object A and Greek column with object B to acheive the effect.

Hope that helps!

Jasper Thayer

Apple Certified Trainer

Jan 30, 2014 3:49 PM in response to Community User

Thanks very much Jasper for your reply.

Yes, your method occurred to me. The problem is that as the rows fan out into the distance they begin to overlap very quickly, so with what you suggest it will appear as though one of the types of rows is on top of the other with out anything in between them.

I am going to include an animation that I found on youtube that is exactly what I am going for, the only difference is that it does not have the objects on top of the columns. Let me know if you have any other ideas or if you think my only choice is to do them one by one.

I think I have to do them one by one, that is difficult though, because it will be VERY hard to get them to line up correctly as they go off into the horizon I think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkPOqeuw-7k

Jan 30, 2014 10:30 PM in response to Community User

First of all thank you so much for going through this trouble to lend a hand.

It does help, but I need to swap your columns with the ones I have which have the animations on top. Can that be done easily?

Also, I'm trying to study what you've done here and I'm confused. I don't understand how you were able to make these without the columns overlapping each other...

Tomorrow I have most of the day to devote to this, I'm hoping that if I study what you've done here I'll be able to figure out the process and make the adjustments I need to make with my columns.

If you have any other helpful hints let me know. Thanks!

Jan 31, 2014 12:48 AM in response to Vadimcream

Heya!

The only tips I can think of is to remember to set the Replicators as 3D then adjust the Z end points in the Replicators to get them in 3D space along with a 3D camera. Adjust the X position in the Properties tab for the Replicators to get them on the right and left side. Also adjust the Z position in the Properties tab to offset the columns. It should be pretty easy to do with your own columns.

Hope that helps!

Jasper Thayer

Apple Certified Trainer

Jan 31, 2014 10:00 AM in response to Community User

I'm working on this and making some headway, but still mega confused.

The thing I'm most confused about is why the two replicators you have don't seem to over lap one another.

Is the tip that you've given the key to make sure that they don't?

If that's the case then I think I must have set things up incorrectly, because I believe I've done what you suggested and they do overlap rather than alternate like yours do.

I'm spending the day trying to work on this, thanks again for your help and knock on wood for me and maybe I'll make a breakthrough with this. 😁

Jan 31, 2014 11:55 AM in response to Community User

Hey!

Just a little update. I JUST adjusted it so that they interweave rather than overlap each other.

The only thing is I'm not sure what I did differently here.

I'm still mystified, but it seems like I'm making progress. Hopefully I'll get this down AND understand how to duplicate it in future instances.

If you think you have any other light to shed then let me know and I'll keep you abreast of my progress.

I'm coming to the end of a very important project that very well might help me get a job with a pretty high profile band, so I honestly can't thank you enough for your help.

Feb 3, 2014 12:03 AM in response to Community User

Hey Jasper, I have everything figured out except for one more thing that I think should be a simple adjustment to make but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it.

Right now the further out the columns go to the horizon the more they converge at the center of the screen. For the animation I'm trying to achieve it would be great if I could get them so the bottoms of the columns stays relatively close to level of the closest column to the screen.

I can't quite get this, when I adjust the cameras or the position of the group within the properties panel the best I can do is get a version that cuts off the top.

I am enclosing a link to a youtube video that should give you a more clear visual representation of what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks again 🙂

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REHmTCSMD94&feature=em-upload_owner

Feb 3, 2014 12:21 AM in response to Vadimcream

Heya!

Try adjusting the Angle Of View for the camera in the Inspector to get a wider angle on your camera so it doesn't cut off the columns in the foreground. Then you can bring the camera down to foot level by adjusting the Y position and rotate the camera up a little bit to get a little angle on the clip. You could also put a floor in the scene to give more perspective by adding a rectangle and rotate it 90°

Can I do this with Replicators in Motion and if not what would be the best way?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.