Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I get the new Airport Extreme?

I've got an Airport Extreme that is older, I think it was the first model after the old snow-globe styled ones. This one is a rectangular box in design, probably 4-5 years old.

We use one both at home, and another at our small business. At our business we have Time Warner Business Class Internet service, so the line comes out of the wall, plugs into the cable modem, then from there we have one line going out to the airport extreme to create our wireless signal.

I've read that this new Airport Extreme (6th Gen) is supposed to be much faster than its predecessors, but can my setup take advantage of that? Would I notice faster wireless with this unit, or is the limiting factor our basic Internet service or the cable modem?

A our business, we have the 10 down/2 uppackage and speed tests show that to be pretty much what we get. At home, speed tests usually clock in around 15-20 down and 1 up.

Staples has this on sale for $169. If buying it gives me faster wireless, then it's a good investment. If it just gives me a newer device with no performance improvements, there's no point in upgrading. I'd appreciate any insight on this, thanks.

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 11:49 AM

The new AirPort Extreme 802.11"ac" will deliver faster wireless.....IF.....you also have new Mac 802.11"ac" laptops and desktops to take advantage of that speed.

If you don't, then things will be pretty much the same as they are now...with perhaps just a bit better wireless range with the new AirPort Extreme.

Your Internet connection speed will always be limited to the plan that you have with your provider. No router in the world will make your Internet connection go faster than your plan provides.

The additional speed comes in handy if you are transferring files from one computer to another computer on your "local" network, or copying files from a computer to a hard drive. In this case, the newer AirPort Extreme can allow this to happen in a third to half of the time that it now takes.

But.....as I mentioned above....802.11"ac" is a two way street. You have to have both an 802.11"ac" router.....and.....new 802.11"ac" laptops and computers to get this speed.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2014 11:49 AM in response to conejo61

The new AirPort Extreme 802.11"ac" will deliver faster wireless.....IF.....you also have new Mac 802.11"ac" laptops and desktops to take advantage of that speed.

If you don't, then things will be pretty much the same as they are now...with perhaps just a bit better wireless range with the new AirPort Extreme.

Your Internet connection speed will always be limited to the plan that you have with your provider. No router in the world will make your Internet connection go faster than your plan provides.

The additional speed comes in handy if you are transferring files from one computer to another computer on your "local" network, or copying files from a computer to a hard drive. In this case, the newer AirPort Extreme can allow this to happen in a third to half of the time that it now takes.

But.....as I mentioned above....802.11"ac" is a two way street. You have to have both an 802.11"ac" router.....and.....new 802.11"ac" laptops and computers to get this speed.

Jan 30, 2014 12:34 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob.

My first reaction when I saw this new version was similar to whenever Apple releases some significant new design revision: "hey, that's cool!"

My second reaction was "but my bandwidth is my bandwidth and I'm already pretty close to my stated speeds."

I'd think that even if I had a new laptop with 802.11 ac capability that the practical effect of this router would be minimal except for computer to computer transfers, which we never do.

And as a point of reference, my office is probably 30 linear feet from the router with two walls in between us, and I have full signal strength and the speed tests I've got, so I don't see much room for improvement there, either.

Thanks again.

Should I get the new Airport Extreme?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.