Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks Server - Unable to connect to servers shared screen

Hi,

I have installed OS X server onto my old mac book pro after erasing and re-installing Mavericks. The server app is the only none stock app on the server.

I have selected to 'Allow remote login using SSH..' and 'Enable screen sharing and remote management on the server 'Settings' page.

I can connect to the server and manage it using another mac on the same network.

I am able to login via SSH and use the command line on the server.

The server and the mac I am managing it from are connected to the same network via ethernet.

The server is connected to the network with a static IP

My broadband router is used as the DHCP server for the network

I have tried all combos of turning things off / re-enabling / removing and re-installing the server app.

When I click the small arrow next to the 'Enable screen sharing..' line in the server app to initiate screen sharing the alert pops up with it trying to connect, it is unable to connect, then I get an error message 'Connection failed to... please check that screen sharing is turned on etc..'

Should I Just give up and install a 3rd party VNC server? Or is there something I am missing to enable this.

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Server

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 12:52 PM

2 replies

Jan 31, 2014 2:25 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

The screen sharing in System Preferences is controlled by the server app once the app is installed and 'allow remote administration and screen sharing' is enabled.

I solved the problem - I had incorrectly setup the static IP.

I changed the static IP to a fixed IP issued by DHCP, and reserved said IP for my server on my router.

After that everything worked.

Mavericks Server - Unable to connect to servers shared screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.