Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find my mac help !!

Hi everyone, just a quick question. I have recently bought a second hand MacBook Pro from a customer of the store I work at. the MacBook has mavericks installed and my main concern is that it had find my mac enabled on the unit so I decided to disable it and also remove the Apple ID from the MacBook, if I reinstall the OS by connecting it to the internet as required will it show the location of the mac ? The reason i ask this is because I'm a bit paranoid about the person knowing where I live, he's a nice guy but it still worries me that he may be able to find my address. Any ideas, advice or help would be great. On top of that would it be possible to install snow leopard over mavericks as I would like to use my Apple ID to install the necessary OS'

Thanks again

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 4:49 PM

Dale,

if you erase your MacBook Pro’s internal disk and reïnstall the version of OS X that was originally installed on it at the factory (the seller should have done that, since Mavericks is non-transferable when downloaded from the Mac App Store), that will both remove the Apple ID currently associated with it and disable the Find My Mac feature.

Whether you can install Snow Leopard on this MacBook Pro depends upon which model MacBook Pro it is; if it originally came from the factory with Lion or newer, then you can’t install Snow Leopard on it. (Well, technically you could, but it wouldn’t run with any guarantee of stability.)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2014 4:49 PM in response to Dale Bailey

Dale,

if you erase your MacBook Pro’s internal disk and reïnstall the version of OS X that was originally installed on it at the factory (the seller should have done that, since Mavericks is non-transferable when downloaded from the Mac App Store), that will both remove the Apple ID currently associated with it and disable the Find My Mac feature.

Whether you can install Snow Leopard on this MacBook Pro depends upon which model MacBook Pro it is; if it originally came from the factory with Lion or newer, then you can’t install Snow Leopard on it. (Well, technically you could, but it wouldn’t run with any guarantee of stability.)

Find my mac help !!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.